• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy radio drift

Rules and Regs.

Think about the origins of many of these devices, not where they were invented, but whom is shipping this stuff...

It ain't us.

We're consuming it, not making for others to buy...

It's an idea like I have (yes I believe in I but it doesn't cure Measles so don't expect a miracle on 34th Street either) but it can't get off the ground unless I donate the thing to the Smithsonian - and even then it will cause issues.

The problem exists with a certain design used in radio - so it's specific to a type of problem and I just use what I have found that works - I have been telling you folks this all along and why I use it - each and every one of you should have caught on to it - and you don't need an Arduino to figure it out. In fact you guys do this every day, you just don't realize it.

Just got mine back from the doctors yesterday, they had it for a few months but it is now drift free, used it from cold and its bang on 12 o clock. Got pretty warm under the heater outlet in the car driving from Sydney to Coffs but everyone we spoke to on the way said perfectly on frequency. Only downer the clarifier coarse is less than what it used to be but never had to touch it all the way from Syd to coffs a 5 hour trip. Got up the next morning, radio cold from sitting in the car overnight but still bang on frequency.

The technical details of how they did it are on transmission1, most of it way over my head but its all there.

http://www.transmission1.net/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=55913

They had my ok to use pics of my radio in that post.

Loz!

You either have the Unicorn of Galaxy radio's or you are very happy with the guys work and are overstating the radio's performance. The words "drift free" and "Galaxy Export Radio" do not go together. At least for the SSB radio's.

Measurements of frequency with temperature:

-4Hz @ -10 degrees C (14 deg Fahrenheit) for 3 hours
+1 Hz @ +20 degrees C (68 deg Fahrenheit) for 3 hours
+7Hz @ 60 degrees C (140 deg Fahrenheit) for 3 hours

This was done in an environmental chamber and measured with a rubidium referenced Agilent counter. No reason to doubt the person that did the work on it. All i can report is that so far its been bang on frequency to me. Only ssb is used down under, so can't comment how stable it is on am and fm as havent used those modes.

Last edited:
Rules and Regs.
Never stopped anyone before.
You have at least a half a dozen mod makers out there.

Think about the origins of many of these devices, not where they were invented, but whom is shipping this stuff...

It ain't us.
Now that you put it in context, I agree.
I took your comment to say that Americans were somehow unable to create anything and that it was foreigners doing all of the innovating.

In fact, the above mods were all done based on the work of American innovators.
The code used above and the reference data was created by an American.
I think the US still has it, but things have to change.

We're consuming it, not making for others to buy...

True.
What I do know is that there is a few American techs and engineers right at this moment designing a "10 meter radio" that rivals the specs of a real amateur radio.
I would not write off Americans as producers of radio gear just yet.

You either have the Unicorn of Galaxy radio's or you are very happy with the guys work and are overstating the radio's performance. The words "drift free" and "Galaxy Export Radio" do not go together. At least for the SSB radio's.

9C1Driver,

He does have a one of a kind "galaxy radio" there. there is no hype going on here.
The shop that did that work has about the best radio tech that CB radio has ever seen.
also, it's a she not a he.

She is an RF engineer and if she puts out a spec, you can trust it.
She does things with CB radios that you would not believe.

I sure hope Sue decides to come over here and hang with us soon.
LC

Reactions: Slowmover
Well, according to some people Fine Tune CBs is the best.
(Yes, that's a joke :p)

I looked at the boards and already saw a few mistakes that RF engineers don't make. No doubt she is good at what she does but RF people don't make those mistakes.

That makes it even worse. Because there is no such degree.

There are no programs dedicated solely to the subject of RF engineering. Students who wish to study the field or find work as engineers who specialize in radio frequencies should consider enrolling in a bachelor's degree, master's degree, orgraduate certificate in electrical, wireless, or microwave engineering.

SIX-SHOOTER

my bad. my brain combined two of her statements to me. (about 4 years ago)
She works as an RF engineer, and has a masters degree in engineering (probably electrical but that wasn't in the message). had to go back and look at messages in another forum.

I used to be able to trust my memory, i swear.

I'm not qualified to defend any of the RF principles that went into the design of those boards.
LC

It's fine.
The real story here is that yes, this will work.
And it's certainly better than potting half of the radio.

Fact is that the EE community is full of elitists.
OK, so not everyone is but a large percentage certainly are.
If you show up for an interview with a project built on a Arduino with code someone else wrote you will get the dreaded response: "we'll call you" which means go away.

CB radios are a hobby so I think it's totally appropriate as a hobby project or prototype but not a real commercial product.

I hope it's not a commercial endeavor with GPL encumbered code.
GPL is a virus you do not want in your commercial projects.

9C1Driver,

He does have a one of a kind "galaxy radio" there. there is no hype going on here.
The shop that did that work has about the best radio tech that CB radio has ever seen.
also, it's a she not a he.

She is an RF engineer and if she puts out a spec, you can trust it.
She does things with CB radios that you would not believe.

I sure hope Sue decides to come over here and hang with us soon.
LC

I am sure she is a superb tech based on what you have said. I would also be very confident in your work as well. I don't doubt she has that radio in top shape performing to the best of it's capability. It's still a Galaxy and they drift, some more then others.

If she has improved this radio to the point where it is better then Galaxy made it then she has just nullified this entire thread. Larry A McClanahan should have just contacted her instead of doing all he did here in this thread.

If you listened to shakes on air it was all about the money and fame.
Not a real product. He was going to "get rich" by getting parts and potting them in epoxy.

This is something real.
What's going on here is that the oscillators have been replaced with a programmable clock generator that's referenced against a temperature compensated crystal oscillator.
So, yes, it's possible and likely that the "drift" of that radio has been substantially reduced by doing the above.

But as shown earlier, the drift in a 2547 was substantially reduced by changing a cap, too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated