• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy radio drift

"You realise this are type accepted radios so they already meet emissions standards."
You also realize those standards are based upon leakage from the housing, not what's reflecting around the inside. The testers still use a faraday cage to check for spurious emissions being emitted from the inside to the outside.

BTW, when you want to stabilise an oscillator you use HEAT to do it.
That's why we have these things called oven controlled crystal oscillators.

People. Instead of filling a can with paraffin wax, epoxy, or my god, hot glue... buy a heater and move on.

Next I guess is the frequency response of the galaxy noise filter..... It's dying for a hack.[/QUOTE]

As stated by someone previously, the coils in this section are also very susceptible to heat reaction. So is C-130, C-131 and D-49. Old school knew this. That's why many old radios had areas that were boxed in and filled with wax. It protected them from vibration and heat reaction.
The three cans that contain the coils have two vent places on each side. They allow any Rising temperatures to enter and affect the coil. Box them in.

WHAT?
Find me a data sheet that says they are vented to dissipate heat.
Find me one where there is any documentation showing that these variable inductors or transformers have "heat reaction"
If they did have some form of "heat reaction" then this would be documented if it caused any significant change to the device. SHOW ME.

I still want to see the "spurious emissions" data that was resolved with this hocus pocus.

There is no dispute that these radios had some form of stability issue.
It's been known and these radios mocked for years because of an issue with the CRYSTALS they used.
If you get a different crystal cut the problem mysteriously vanishes.

You don't need a fan.
You don't need to remove parts.
You don't need to encase the thing in paraffin, hot glue, or epoxy.

If you do this nonsense to your own radio that's your prerogative.
But you didn't exactly escape your last brush with modding radios for locals with destroying a few in the process.

Your anger and animosity are well noted. But I have nothing to prove to you. If you want to know if this is accurate, put a DX 2547 on base and talk on it for an hour and find out what happens. Then do these things that I said to do and see what happens, the bench doesn't lie. Now the crystal oven is an excellent idea but it doesn't stabilize the rest of the radio.

Oh God.... Another hack at work molesting radios. If you want frequency stability install a proper temperature compensating crystal heater board to it. Then you can control the crystals temperature to within 0.1 deg. C. Using a fan to move air around in the radio is just going to increase temperature changes instead of letting them stabilize. And mysteriously lowering the "spurious emissions". I have got to see a screen capture of your spectrum analyzer before and after to believe that nonsense.

A fan forcing cool air into a box exits continually keeping the radio cool. You can argue all you want but it doesn't change the results.

You are changing the argument.
Are we cooling the radio or trying to make it stable.

Are you still doing your in-car alignments? The ones that ended up at Bob's CB.

Well, I've never done on that alignment on any radio in an automobile in my entire life. Enough said. So you got a wild hair up your ass about me. I don't really care. People can doubt me all they want but it's obvious that you can't accept it. All they have to do is follow through with what I said and see what happens. Why don't you do it and then get on here and lie and say it didn't make a difference. That would be real cool.

Well, I've never done on that alignment on any radio in an automobile in my entire life. Enough said. So you got a wild hair up your ass about me. I don't really care. People can doubt me all they want but it's obvious that you can't accept it. All they have to do is follow through with what I said and see what happens. Why don't you do it and then get on here and lie and say it didn't make a difference. That would be real cool.

Yeah you have.
You used your cellphone as an audio generator along with an SWR meter.

It took me a bit to realise you were the same Captain Shakes.
But yes, that's you.

oh.. the plot thickens Shakes.
I will catch you on ch12 or 38LSB sometime trying to sell these things.

What about the new radios with the experimental mods, like this one, that ended up at Bob's?

You're just talking out your ass. You can attack me all you want, but the fact is, the first guy that tries this will saying son of a bitch, it works. So from here on out you enjoy yourself and try to have a good day.

Your testers will be your customers?
That's nice.

Buyer beware. Don't buy blocks of potted parts and fans people.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.