1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

galaxy saturn am only problem

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by brent stroud, Sep 16, 2020.

1. brent stroud

brent stroud Member

hello I've got a problem that has me scratching my head. I have a saturn than has normal dead key on am but only swings 6 to 8 watts on am. I have 6vdc on the final collectors in am mode and normal output power of 20 plus watts on ssb. 12.5vdc in ssb mode. anyone have any ideas on this ?

2. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

I have seen a lot of Saturns that had the bias turned way too high on the finals. Makes them run hot, and turns the metal tab black. As a rule, one final will croak first, cutting the power more or less in half. A flat-black layer of oxide on the metal-tab surface of a final transistor is a bad sign.

There is one capacitor between the final collector choke coil and the slug-tuned output coil. Older radios used a ceramic disc cap that would get hot and go bad. Some time in the early 90s they changed this to a silver-mica type. Can't remember the callout number on the schemo, but those are the two failures that come to mind.

Of course, you did align the transmitter stages upstream from the final, right? Just one tuning slug that's not peaked can do this as well.

3. brent stroud

brent stroud Member

Yes I sure did. The bias is right where it needs to be. What’s really strange is the fact that ssb mode works fine with normal power output but I will double check what you just suggested thank you Chris

4. brent stroud

brent stroud Member

follow up. I traced modulated audio from ic 4 all the way thru tr 49 50 and 51. all the way to the collectors of tx finals. has tx audio. I'm totally stumped. once again. ssb tx is normal. just no forward pep on am.

5. bob85

bob85 Supporting Member

Brent,
    what meter are you measuring the AM swing with

if its an average reading meter you will see swing on ssb but not much swing on AM unless its setup to swing from a low carrier,

6V on the collectors sounds like factory carrier level on AM for export radios

6. brent stroud

brent stroud Member

I'm using a pep reading watt meter. for sure. thanks for the suggestion though.

bob85 likes this.
  7. brent stroud

brent stroud Member

UPDATE: problem solved bad cap in audio circuit on output of 4558 op amp. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

TM86 likes this.