• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy Saturn base station

mlong438

Aug 28, 2011
My echo was not working on my Galaxy Staurn so I tried to install a TRB-X2 echo board. The problem I have is that the mic plug on the radio is a 4 pin plug but the number 1 pin did not have a ground hooked to it. The plug just had 3 wires. The radio was working (recieving and transmiting good ) but now when I plug the mic in it stops recieving. I have double checked all my wiring. I don't understand the ground pin on this radio. Can somebody explain how the mic plug is wired on the radio.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
The best thing you could do is bypass the echo altogether by removing the audio input and output wire from the board and short them together. These echo boards destroy the stock audio quality in any radio they are installed in regardless of if the board is turned on or off. They contain filters that chop off the low end bass and high end treble. That's why the simple 2950 always sounds better than a 2990. Only difference is the 2290 echo that stays inline with the audio even when switched off.

If anyone doubts this, try wiring the echo though a double pole double throw relay so that when it's off, the board is entirely bypassed and switched out of the audio line. The difference is night and day in terms of audio quality. If you don't see the drastic change, it just means the mic you are using has restricted bandwidth just like the echo board. Using a D-104 or a Turner mic will easily reveal the difference.

Reactions: LeapFrog
The best thing you could do is bypass the echo altogether by removing the audio input and output wire from the board and short them together. These echo boards destroy the stock audio quality in any radio they are installed in regardless of if the board is turned on or off. They contain filters that chop off the low end bass and high end treble. That's why the simple 2950 always sounds better than a 2990. Only difference is the 2290 echo that stays inline with the audio even when switched off.

If anyone doubts this, try wiring the echo though a double pole double throw relay so that when it's off, the board is entirely bypassed and switched out of the audio line. The difference is night and day in terms of audio quality. If you don't see the drastic change, it just means the mic you are using has restricted bandwidth just like the echo board. Using a D-104 or a Turner mic will easily reveal the difference.

That's news. Thanks.

My echo went bad in my Turbo and I bought a after market echo board and installed it! Aldo put a 5 stage roger beep in it as well. Removed the RFgain and set it at wide open! Knob I never use! I removed the knob and put a 5 position switch for the the roger beep! Looks stock. The echo board in the turbo is on the right and all by its self. Easy removal and install for the new one. Just mark your power and other wires when removing. The new board is much better and and with it on and not in set to echo people sat it sounds like a $ HF set up! If you can put a crystal in a D10r you can do thid mod! I rank it at a 5/10 on a difficulty scale! Good luck!

My echo was not working on my Galaxy Staurn so I tried to install a TRB-X2 echo board. The problem I have is that the mic plug on the radio is a 4 pin plug but the number 1 pin did not have a ground hooked to it. The plug just had 3 wires. The radio was working (recieving and transmiting good ) but now when I plug the mic in it stops recieving. I have double checked all my wiring. I don't understand the ground pin on this radio. Can somebody explain how the mic plug is wired on the radio.
I did this mos and it worked out fine. My Turbo is a 6 pin tho and had 2 grounds! Someone must of changed your mic plus at some time. I think there 6 pin stock! All mine are. I have 4 turbos 3 2990s and a 619! All 6 pic stock. Good luck

A Saturn is a 4 pin radio, not 6. A 6 pin is for the ch. up & down on the stock mic. Good luck on your Saturn's echo, see if you can use the switch still to turn it off and use a matching double pot somewhere.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio