• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy saturn ept360014b vr16 low power will not adjust

Thanks a bunch Robb, definitely needed that diagram. I'll try that first and see what's going on in the circuit and get back with you. Want to add that the radio did 20 watts swing before tuning everything to 50ma that would go to 50ma on the final side and it only swings to 9 watts with audio tone. Not sure if that helps, but I'll try going through that circuit first that you shared thanks

KD8QPV

Replaced all parts but vr10 in the diagram and still no adjustment from vr10, I tested vr10 with an ohm meter and seems to be working but have to find another like it to change it just in case. Also d88 was ok when tested. Vr16 low power still does nothing when adjusted also.

Changed vr10 still no difference or change in ma voltage, not sure this helps but the voltage on the center leg of each final shows 4.74 vdc

So, either the diode is not working (short or open), or the transistor isn't working, one of disc caps may be shorted or open (unlikely, but possible), or a poor solder joint. In my experience, either the diode is not working, or the transistor is toast in that circuit. But I've also seen disc caps removed or shorted.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx99v/graphics/99v_3600-14b_top.gif

D88.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N
That was my next step, just wanted to check beforehand. Gonna change mv1y and tr43 and check it again, I checked mv1y with a diode setting on my digital volt meter, it read only one way when removed from the circuit but read short when checked in circuit on both finals diodes. I also checked for bad solder joints and re-soldered all going to and from the circuit. Thanks again for any and all help Robb.

It only read in one direction but changed it anyways where it's still in a trouble spot, didnt want it to be the 1 part that stopped everything from working. I changed the mv1y diode and tr43 and not I'm showing ma on my analog meter but its pegging the 250ma scale and I cant get it to go down now.

Sorry wasn't specific, the driver still reads 50ma testing between tp8 and tr9. When testing between tr7 and tr9 for the finals its pegging the ammeter on 250 scale.

Hahahahaha I feel stupid now, I was turning it the wrong way. It set both finals to 50ma and together 100ma split between the two. Thanks Robb and everyone for their help. This is one of the best website forums I've been on for info about these kind of problems that are sometimes hard to figure out on your own. Now just to hook it up and see if vr16 low power works now.​

Hahahahaha I feel stupid now, I was turning it the wrong way. It set both finals to 50ma and together 100ma split between the two. Thanks Robb and everyone for their help. This is one of the best website forums I've been on for info about these kind of problems that are sometimes hard to figure out on your own. Now just to hook it up and see if vr16 low power works now.​
vr16 is NOT low power,.. it is CW TONE. Low power is located on tiny board on left front of radio... VR803

Have a nice galaxy saturn that looks like very few have been in, I was tuning up the radio and doing an alignment and noticed when trying to set the radios low power with vr16 there was no difference when turning the vr with the rf power knob at any setting the radio keys rf power all the way down 2 1/2 watts and swings 20 watts, on am and sideband, also vr13 works fine. I've had quite a few saturns in and the 2166 and two 2312s usually do almost double that. Not sure what's stopping the vr from working but I'm sure it's probably the low power vr not working.i change the vr still nothing, I've looked over the board for cold solder joints and can't find any. R241 has a 1n4841 diode in line with the band towards the finals is all I can see that someone might have put in other then that I'm stuck again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?