• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy Saturn problem

RT2020

Dec 23, 2011
Searched but couldn’t find this problem. On this Saturn it will work fine one minute then you leave the room or turn your head and come back and the frequency counter and channel display are gone but meters are still lit up, of course there’s no transmit or receive when this happens. Will try to post a picture. Any ideas? I have it at a friends place and he’s going to look at it but I’m just trying to get ideas where to start.
5CCEE403-6EDD-48EA-A5E3-8946D0CDCCF9.jpeg5CCEE403-6EDD-48EA-A5E3-8946D0CDCCF9.jpeg

Also changed the squelch/PA pot right before this started happening, could this be related

If you have a cap shorting out (age, heat, installing backwards), it might kill the power to some part of the circuit. From that very dimly lit AM LED, I bet there is a cap sucking up the power somewhere. I would check the caps first.

Another thing you can try is to take a can of freeze spray and start cooling stuff. Problems that appear to arise from temperature changes, if thats whats happening, are easy to find this way,

If you have a cap shorting out (age, heat, installing backwards), it might kill the power to some part of the circuit. From that very dimly lit AM LED, I bet there is a cap sucking up the power somewhere. I would check the caps first.

Another thing you can try is to take a can of freeze spray and start cooling stuff. Problems that appear to arise from temperature changes, if thats whats happening, are easy to find this way,
Ok, it is an intermittent problem, one of those that won’t replicate, might run 10 minutes then turn it off and it comes on and works great then the next time it takes a day to come back, also the carrier wil be real high sometimes for no reason when it is working on tx and rx

Still haven’t figured this thing out, TR 36 only shows .54 volts so I kinda figure that’s a place to start, however when I flip the echo switch on the display comes on now but it is in TX mode so what gives with that?

I shoulda suggested flipping the "PA" switch on the squelch knob a few times to see if that would quiet it down, maybe?

Seems to me we had a cheat sheet for bypassing that switch. Or to hijack it for some noise toy.

Gotta look for that. The PA switch will cause shutdown faults when it gets oxidized and noisy.

Reactions: Cable Guy
Id look over that squelch-pa pot again. The display goes out like that if it is in pa mode. There are maybe 10 wires soldered to the back of that switch on mine, not including the 3 on the potentiometer. Perhaps a wire is crossed?
View attachment 64502
Mines wired just like that, what’s weird is the display comes on when I turn on the echo but it’s in transmit too when I do that

my galaxy 2527 audio was messing up,l intermittent a lot, turned out it was the mike socket, it seems on galaxy big black box radios the mke plug socket is held in place withjust one screw, that is the ground, i took faceplate off like the galaxy tech said to do and reflow the solder joints on the small circut board, but it was obvious the screw to ground was loose,, tightened it up and audio back like it should have been,, just a little circut board loose,,,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.