• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy Saturn transformer

OK, I see 2 Red wires on the transformer picture...But on the board from the line cord...I see 1 Red and 1 orange....where does that Orange wire go to?
On the Line cord (blk cable) on your 110 cord Blue wire should go to GOLD Screw on the connector...The white wire should go to Silver screw......

Reactions: ChrisDel157
A pic might help me here... I hope I can see the rectifier too. Thanks bud

Ok, let me start with an apology. I should never post late at night. I must get things mixed up in my head. I posted here that my Saturn has a switching power supply and it does not. I also have a 2547 on the bench that I am waiting for parts on. That one has the switching power supply. UGH!!! This one has the traditional linear power supply. Now to the Saturn. Here are some pics of the transformer, rectifier, filter, back of the plug and where the transformer hits the power supply board. Also, this power supply is putting out 13.84 volts.20200703_104617.jpg 20200703_104637.jpg 20200703_104659.jpg 20200703_104840.jpg

I see only four wires coming out of this transformer. The two red wires for 240 Volts, and the two yellow wires that (should) be delivering 16 or 17 Volts. With 120 Volts feeding it, this will be half that. Feed it into a rectifier bridge and this gets you close to 11 Volts DC where you should have about twice that.

A new 120-Volt version of this transformer will cost more than a complete 12-Volt switchmode power supply. We have used this trick to convert 240-Volt only base radios to 120 more than once.

These suckers are all over Ebay. Here is one rated at 10 Amps for 20 bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-10A...787258?hash=item2aebecbdba:g:8-oAAOSwcBpeAxK~

Not the only source by any means. Just the first one I turned up.

Definitely the cheapest answer I see.

Ok, let me start with an apology. I should never post late at night. I must get things mixed up in my head. I posted here that my Saturn has a switching power supply and it does not. I also have a 2547 on the bench that I am waiting for parts on. That one has the switching power supply. UGH!!! This one has the traditional linear power supply. Now to the Saturn. Here are some pics of the transformer, rectifier, filter, back of the plug and where the transformer hits the power supply board. Also, this power supply is putting out 13.84 volts.
View attachment 38529 View attachment 38530 View attachment 38531 View attachment 38532
Thank you for all your help bud, I still think this thing needs a new transformer... I'm only getting 9.8 ac out of the transformer. 11.3dc out of the rectifier.

I see only four wires coming out of this transformer. The two red wires for 240 Volts, and the two yellow wires that (should) be delivering 16 or 17 Volts. With 120 Volts feeding it, this will be half that. Feed it into a rectifier bridge and this gets you close to 11 Volts DC where you should have about twice that.

A new 120-Volt version of this transformer will cost more than a complete 12-Volt switchmode power supply. We have used this trick to convert 240-Volt only base radios to 120 more than once.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-10A...787258?hash=item2aebecbdba:g:8-oAAOSwcBpeAxK~

Thank you for your help, I'll look into it!

OK, I see 2 Red wires on the transformer picture...But on the board from the line cord...I see 1 Red and 1 orange....where does that Orange wire go to?
On the Line cord (blk cable) on your 110 cord Blue wire should go to GOLD Screw on the connector...The white wire should go to Silver screw......
The orange line goes to the other side of the fuse. I appreciate your input

I'm only getting 9.8 ac out of the transformer. 11.3dc out of the rectifier.

Yes, agree with Nomad. That is a 220 volt ONLY primary. There are no winding changes that will get the voltages required using 120-volt input.
The adaptor your friend was using was a Boost adaptor (boosted 120 to 220v).
I am like Nomad, thought I have seen this come up years ago.
The power supply must be changed out, or go back to using a Boost adaptor.
I looked at Hammond Mfg. website (OEM transformer mfg) and they do not show a standard build with those requirements. Thus anything for that rig will be built to order. ($$)
I think the switcher supply would be the best option. The custom-wound transformer to fit in the same location I would venture to say will cost a least a couple of hundred dollars.
The requirement being:
120vac primary
17 vac secondary @ 10va (150-170 watts)
That is going to be a tough bird to find. Not impossible, yet not cheap either. Certainly more than replacing the entire supply as Nomad stated earlier.
Looking around Utube the Turbo versions this is a commonly done mod, for the same reasons.
Sorry but looks like the adaptor usage(step-up device) or replace the entire power supply.
GL
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: ChrisDel157
Ok, let me start with an apology. I should never post late at night. I must get things mixed up in my head. I posted here that my Saturn has a switching power supply and it does not. I also have a 2547 on the bench that I am waiting for parts on. That one has the switching power supply. UGH!!! This one has the traditional linear power supply. Now to the Saturn. Here are some pics of the transformer, rectifier, filter, back of the plug and where the transformer hits the power supply board. Also, this power supply is putting out 13.84 volts.View attachment 38529 View attachment 38530 View attachment 38531 View attachment 38532
One other question, on the headphone jack on the back should there be a resistor on it? It's not a film capacitor. Which I thought it should be.

Yes, agree with Nomad. That is a 220 volt ONLY primary. There are no winding changes that will get the voltages required using 120-volt input.
I looked at Hammond Mfg. website (OEM transformer mfg) and they do not show a standard build with those requirements. Thus anything for that rig will be built to order. ($$)
I think the switcher supply would be the best option. The custom-wound transformer to fit in the same location I would venture to say will cost a least a couple of hundred dollars.
The requirement being:
120vac primary
That is going to be a tough bird to find. Not impossible, yet not cheap either. Certainly more than replacing the entire supply as Nomad stated earlier.
Looking around Utube the Turbo versions this is a commonly done mod, for the same reasons.
Sorry but looks like the adaptor usage(step-up device) or replace the entire power supply.
GL
All the Best
Gary
Thank you Gary, you're been nothing but helpful. It's very much appreciated! I'll get this thing going again and repost about it.

Reactions: Tokin

Yes, the one on my bench does have a resistor across it.
Thank you Gary, you're been nothing but helpful. It's very much appreciated! I'll get this thing going again and repost about it.
The requirement being:
120vac primary
GL
All the Best
Gary
The requirement being:
120vac primary
GL
All the Best
Gary
The requirement being:
120vac primary
GL
All the Best
Gary
I have a fix! Since I work at a transfer station, I have access to electronics and other devices. So after testing, and getting 12.8v DC at the rectifier I'm going to install this temporarily until I get a replacement or maybe come across a parts radio. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me.

Attachments

• 20200704_081443.jpg
    20200704_081443.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.