• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy SSB issue. Another one.

Cruiseomatic

Dark side of the Sun.
Dec 28, 2011
My 959 was used when I acquired it. Took it to a tech who did an alignment on it. AM is fine. On SSB, I can hear multiple stations tuned in but they're at the floor level then randomly one will come blasting in so strong I can't tune them and my meter pegs out. I know he turned the receiver up to full open. But it doesn't affect anything else or hinder operation. And of coarse USB, the freq counter is off by 2 but I don't care about that.

Even when I had a full base setup I've never had a station come in THAT strong before and I'm on a mobile now. So, Is it really that strong or is something up with the radio? I have no history behind it like if the receive mod was done or not where you have to switch it off to keep from it being overloaded or not. There are some diodes on the board that are 2 in series and had the ends twisted together and soldered. Could that be it or is that factory? (If it is, First I've seen something like that.)

May seem like alot of "newby" questions but I've been out of this hobby for quite a while and forgot a few things.

It could be a problem with the AGC, as sp5it pointed out. Or it could also be a couple of other things.

Someone could have given it the 'super ears' mod, which is a terrible and useless mod - IMO.
https://www.radiomods.co.nz/galaxy949_959ept069610z.html

It may also be an improperly tuned receiver. The first two tuning coils in the RX circuit are very fussy and are often adjusted wrong by the golden screwdriver/hack. IF those two first coils are out of whack; that alone would make this situation happen.

Regardless of the cause, RX problems are best diagnosed and repaired by a tech with the right gear and experience. I'd send it off - IMO.

10,000th post.
woohoo!

Last edited:
Yeah, AM is fine. Even when my AM noise floor is about S-2, kick it over to SSB and the needle swings up to 9-ish. U and LSB do it. But at a different location, Same noise level on AM, SSB shows the same as AM.
Checked for any "obvious" mods done and nothing. Looks virgin still. Unless the mods done, Were done differently than "radio modz" has listed. There is some diodes that are twisted together and put in series where one would normally go. Could those be it?

AGC not working was my first thought. Sounds like its operating exactly the same as my amateur HF gear when I turn the AGC off.

The role of the AGC is to control the gain on SSB so that strong signals and weak signals have as similar volume levels as possible because without it you get what you're hearing. Before someone invented AGC the way you had to do it was to use the AF gain, aka volume knob.

How would I know if it is off or turned down to far? Could I turn it back up WITHOUT a full scale bench?
I guess I should say, Since it is showing signs of being turned down to off, How can I turn it back up and know when it is back high enough without a bench?

Last edited:
How would I know if it is off or turned down to far? Could I turn it back up WITHOUT a full scale bench?
I guess I should say, Since it is showing signs of being turned down to off, How can I turn it back up and know when it is back high enough without a bench?
Adjustments like that are better left to techs that have the equipment and the know how to do it correctly.

Depending who you ask, Anyone with screwdriver is a tech!
No, I understand. Go figure as it just left a "tech"s bench for a full alignment too....

Depending who you ask, Anyone with screwdriver is a tech!
No, I understand. Go figure as it just left a "tech"s bench for a full alignment too....
Takes more than just hand tools to make a technician. Calibrated test equipment and the "Know How" to do it correctly.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.