• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GAP antennas

rfoverlord

guardian of freedom
Jun 1, 2005
daegaba system
has anyone used or is using any of the GAP verticle antennas? i know one ham op that is using one and he likes it, so i was looking for more real world input. and yes i have checked the reviews on eham. any input would be appreciated. oh just looking at 10mtrs. thru 40 maybe 80 tnx.

I have a borrowed Challenger up right now. It's not bad. Signals are lower, but so is the noise. I can hear stations on the GAP that are down in the noise on my 120' doublet.

Low takeoff angle for DX.
You HAVE to guy the thing if you get any wind at all.

I should be receiving the Titan soon....

I talked to a guy around here that has a Gap Titan up. He's an older guy, and has a book published on DX'ing that they carry at HRO. He seemed pretty pleased with his Titan, especially since where he lives they have antenna height ordinances.

I have a GAP Titan...
works very well on many bands..
it is a big antenna though
(even larger then my Interceptor I-10K)

you would need to guy wire it if you have anything but lite winds by you..

you said however you plan to use it mostly for 10 meters
so i would recoment Jay's Interceptor I-10K
works far better on 10 meters verses my Gap Titan..
is really easy to tune the I-10K to exactly the 10 meter frequency's you want and need..

but you also mentioned would be nice for 40 and 80 meters
so this is where GAP shines

Later

I can't wait to get mine!
I have a 120' wire up for 80,60,and 40. I will be using the GAP for 20 and up.

MY GAP

HAD A GAP A FEW YEARS AGO.. MADE CONTACT W/ THE SAME PARTY 2 TIMES IN JAPAN.. LOANED IT OUT AND IT GOT DAMAGED.. NOW PUTTING UP A TITAN.. WILL TAKE A COUPLE OF WEEKS BEFORE I GET ON THE AIR... AT 77 -THE WIFE MADE ME PROMISE TO STOP PUTTING UP TOWERS SO I WILL STICK W/ THE GROUND MOUNTS..SHES FUSSY THAT WAY!!!

:D thanks for the responses guys, i'm seriously considering one as my plans to move have changed and i already have a 40ft. tower up with no room for another. the tower already host several 50mhz. and up ants. it also is the primary support for a 40 mtr. doublet. so my only choice would be a verticle for hf.i should have clarified the 10mtrs. thru 40mtrs. maybe 80.
i can pull down my 11mtr vert. and replace it with a decent hf vert. which would maximize what little ant. realastate i have left
without upsetting the nieghbors too much.

I don't have any personal experience with any GAP antenna other than the Titan DX. It's not a bad antenna, but appearance-wise, it's not just a skinny tube sticking up in the air. I don't know how forgiving your wife or neighbors are willing to be, but the Titan DX is a quite-noticeable antenna.

well it's either that or a small beam like the cushcraft 5B. but since i can only have one tower where i am now. i want to put up a 6mtr. beam and a dual band for ssb on 2mtr. 70cm. :D as far as the wife is concerned she would rather me spend my money on something i enjoy and keeps me content(home) than out in the bars hootin and doing the honky tonk badonkadonk ;) ;)

hi..

although as i mentioned i have a Titan DX..

I perfer and theink the SteppIr Big-IR is a better antenna
for it has a greater frequency range and lower foot print looking antenna(but you need run radials for whatever frequencys you want to use)
That said i think the SteppIR would work better

Later

VERTICLE ANTENNAS

YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK AT THE HIGHGAIN VERTICALS THEY WORK WELL AND SO DOES THE HUSTLER 5BTV WITHOUT RADIALS73/GL
DE-K8PG-PAUL CW LIVES :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.