• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Gauge of power leads between board and power socket?

JDE

Feb 9, 2022
What gauge wire is everyone using to replace the +/- leads from the PCB to the rear power socket on Cobras and etc? I have two unmodified Cobra 29s needing new leads due to damage or corrosion.

Bonus Question; I've seen a handful of people putting a single ferrite toroid on each of those power leads(2-3 loops through the toroid). Anywhere here do that, and if so, what size toroids are you using?

^^^^^^
A good guide for amp draw vs. wire gauge vs. length of conductor.

AFIK toriods on power leads are to reduce electrical interference to the receiver through the power leads. Older CB radios used a filter choke (looks like a small transformer) for this purpose. I suppose that filter chokes got too expensive so the "replacement" became RF chokes from power socket to PC board. Ferrites may well do a better job of "interference" reduction but can be frequency (as in the frequency of the interference that needing to be blocked) specific in the type of material the toriod is made of.

^^^^^
Some info on toriods.

David

Last edited:
Reactions: JDE
Since I'm just replacing the existing PCB to power socket leads and not trying to upgrade them, I'm limited to the hole sizes in the PCB for those leads sicne they're through-hole. Looks like it might be 20g solid core, just wasn't sure and I'd hate to buy a spool of wire that won't work.

In that case I would use the largest gauge wire I could fit in the PCB. A pin vise drill (available at Hobby Shops) can enlarge the PCB holes easily.
Tip: drill from the solder side slowly enlarging one hole size at a time until you reach the diameter of the wire size you want to use.

(Above is a link to a pin vise drill. Robot or Human????)

I have used solid buss wire from the PCB board to the SO-239 connector and used a pin vise drill to enlarge the PCB holes with no problems.

David

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.