• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GE Info needed.

dxing.bruce

Apr 15, 2012
Hey: Guys.

Anybody own a GE 3-5908 HELP portable cb radio ?

A buddy in the U.S bought one & I wanted to know what
PLL chip was in it to see if it can get some extra channels.

I tried searching all over the net & I can't find any info on
it like schematic or service manual.

Any info would be great.

Thanks.

Bruce.

Toronto. Canada.

Even if you find proper schematics I would be skeptical about extra channels. The FCC had cracked down on PLL chips by the time this radio was designed. Older radios with type numbers 3-58xx are the only ones easily convertible for channels. All the 3-5900 models are newer and were approved under tougher FCC limits. Odds are that this radio uses a PLL that doesn't use a mixing crystal that you can spoof like the Cobra 29 radios. I suspect you'll find you're in the same spot as with a Cobra 25 or Uniden PC66-type radio. Not doable in a practical way.

Even if you find proper schematics I would be skeptical about extra channels. The FCC had cracked down on PLL chips by the time this radio was designed. Older radios with type numbers 3-58xx are the only ones easily convertible for channels. All the 3-5900 models are newer and were approved under tougher FCC limits. Odds are that this radio uses a PLL that doesn't use a mixing crystal that you can spoof like the Cobra 29 radios. I suspect you'll find you're in the same spot as with a Cobra 25 or Uniden PC66-type radio. Not doable in a practical way.

Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Handy Andy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.