• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

general equipment question

chaparral

Feb 23, 2013
first i'll say if i'm not in the correct forum for my question, i do apologize, i'm new to the forum an all you have to do is direct me in the direction i need to be in.

Ok. Question is, I have a magnum s-3 and recently purchased a galaxy 250 box to go with it. I have what is called a Little Will antenna.. I am assuming that what i have isnt anything to significantly bad ass considering some of the rigs I am finally able to see on here. but on the other hand I have no ideal what I really have.

So if your familiar with what i am working with, do you have an opinion on the set up, what my basic needs are is i travel throughout the mid west and enjoy talking but back and forth between drivers and other radio owners. but in the quest to have some power i picked up the galaxy. im having it matched to the radio etc tomorrow but overall want to know what others think of the two. I also have an astatic mic with the radio.

The radio and amp are fine...as long as the radio is set up for that amp..dead key and swing set properly as not to over drive the amp.

The antenna is not made to handle the power of that amp reguardless of what the antenna is rated at.I had the Little Wil is a great little antenna as long as you are running under 50 watts of power.

I would agree with above.... Wilson 5000,3000 or even a good old 102 inch whip would be a better antenna to run

While I do agree with what has been said, the Lil Wil can and will work if that is what you must run. It is rated at 300 watts. With the proper radio settings into your amplifier the most you will peak at is 130-170 honest watts.

Many years ago a local security guy ran a Cobra 29 into a Palomar 250 on a Lil Wil mounted on an S10 blazer. He talked all over town and sounded perfect. This worked for light duty casual talking.

Hook it up and run it. The antenna will handle that box. You can always look around for a good used higher gain, higher capacity antenna later.

As stated make sure radio is set up for that amp. It only needs a 2 Watt carrier into it. Anymore and you'll burn up the swamping resistors on the input of amp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.