• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"Get Involved in the Good Things in Amateur Radio!&quot

Peddler

SWR (sandwich with rum) Expert
Aug 6, 2001
Central Texas, USA
The FCC's Riley Hollingsworth: "Get Involved in the Good Things in Amateur Radio!"

NEWINGTON, CT, Jun 14, 2005--FCC Special Counsel for Enforcement Riley Hollingsworth told the Dayton Hamvention FCC Forum May 21 "all you need to know to enhance your radio service--in one simple lesson." Drawing upon his nearly seven years' experience as the FCC's point man for Amateur Radio enforcement, Hollingsworth told his audience "what I personally think you need to do to make the Amateur Radio Service thrive and to enjoy the incredible opportunity" to have fun and engage in public service activities.

"The point is, it isn't about enforcement," Hollingsworth said, adding that he'd like to pass along a few lessons regarding behavior that extend into the realm of Amateur Radio. "Number one: The world is ugly enough as it is. You don't have to add to the ugliness. Use the VFO!" He said that if the FCC had wanted everyone on the same frequency, it would have assigned everyone the same channel in the first place. "I can't change mentality; I can't change personality. Just use the VFO and go somewhere else."

Hollingsworth said he wished he got a better sense that more amateur licensees were happy to use their privileges and appreciate them. "It doesn't matter whether you're on 2 meters in California--in which case, God help you--or 2 meters in Florida or HF, you're being heard all over the world because of the technology and because of the tourists coming to America from all over the world."

For those on the air and not enjoying Amateur Radio, Hollingsworth reiterated: "Use the VFO! Don't waste your time trying to talk sense into an operator who's bitter or angry or who hates everything." Enforcement can't put such operators under adult supervision, Hollingsworth added. Enthusiasm and happiness on ham radio are contagious, he asserted, and amateur licensees themselves are responsible for creating and maintaining a hospitable operating environment.

FCC Special Counsel for Enforcement Riley Hollingsworth (right) shares the podium with FCC Wireless Telecommunications Staffer Bill Cross, W3TN, at the Dayton Hamvention 2005 FCC Forum.

"Overall, amateur compliance, I think, is very, very good--I'm really happy with it," although, he said, "we still have a good distance to go" in certain areas. His "problem children," Hollingsworth said, by and large continue to be Advanced and Extra class licensees, not Technicians.

Hollingsworth said complaints have been continuing to decline over the past year. "For a solid year now, we've had a steady decline," he said. "I think that's a good sign." He also predicted the trend would continue.

The most high-profile recent enforcement case--involving former amateur licensee Jack Gerritsen in the Los Angeles Area--"is not technically an amateur case," Hollingsworth explained, although it does involve complaints of interference to amateur repeaters. While Gerritsen has bonded out of jail pending trial on "very rigorous" conditions that include house arrest and electronic monitoring, plus no access to radios, Hollingsworth said, "I don't think we'll be hearing from him again."

Hollingsworth pointed out, however, that the FCC is looking to determine who supplied Gerritsen with Amateur Radio equipment and "encouraged him."

Among the good things going on in ham radio, Hollingsworth elicited a round of applause by singling out Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, teacher Sean Barnes, N3JQ, whose classes have helped 60 youngsters to obtain Amateur Radio licensees over the past three years. "I'd love to track what they contribute to society and to science and technology over the next few years," Hollingsworth said.

Hollingsworth continued answering questions from the audience after the FCC Forum ended.

His final admonishment: Good amateur practice means "not operating so that whoever hears you becomes sorry they ever got interested in Amateur Radio in the first place." But for those who "insist on getting the air acting stupid, hiding behind the microphone, just go to Toys R Us and get your equipment," he joked. "And then you can say, 'I saved a ton of money by switching my equipment to Toys R Us.'"

He urged hams to look to the future and "get involved in the good things in Amateur Radio" and spread the word among to acquaint the public and even legislators, lawmakers and government officials.

"It's not about enforcement. It's about your obligation," he said. Enforcement can't cure all Amateur Radio's ills. "It's all about you and what you're doing with [Amateur Radio]," he concluded. "Look beyond enforcement."

Hollingsworth told the gathering that it was important that he get his message across now, because he didn't expect to be around much longer to preach it. "I'll be dead and for one good reason: Hamfest hotdogs," which, he teased, get recycled from one event to the next.

taken from the ARRL website.

:D Peddler this is the best thing I have read about the FCC since I have been coming to this forum, please post this over in the FCC activity section so those folks that get a thrill out of posting the Johnny got busted junk can read it! Riley hit the nail smack dab on the head, if all you can worry about is what someone else is doing then you are as much of the problem as they are!

yama junk owna said:
:D Peddler this is the best thing I have read about the FCC since I have been coming to this forum, please post this over in the FCC activity section so those folks that get a thrill out of posting the Johnny got busted junk can read it! Riley hit the nail smack dab on the head, if all you can worry about is what someone else is doing then you are as much of the problem as they are!

Mr Hollingsworth's talk was not an official FCC presentation....

And it is HIS part of the FCC who goes after the people that are using 10 meters illegally and that part is part of the other parts going after freebanders and illegal radios and amps.

But I'm glad you enjoyed his talkk.

You can try to write it off or say it is not official to try and take what the man said and make it mean what you will, BUT, The man said what needed to be said!

A government official that is a department head or in a position of authority is always "on duty". The fact that he was publicly speaking on a topic that his department is represents makes it a defacto "official" FCC presentation....

Moleculo said:
A government official that is a department head or in a position of authority is always "on duty". The fact that he was publicly speaking on a topic that his department is represents makes it a defacto "official" FCC presentation....

Right on with that statement Moleculo!

"His "problem children, Hollingsworth said, by and large continue to be Advanced and Extra class licensees, not Technicians."

These are people that passed the code that are supposed to be real operators. Code didn't keep them out as some believed it would. I think the greater reality is that the Amateur Code is what has been "dumbed down" .

The Amateur's Code

The Radio Amateur is:

Considerate... Never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the
pleasure of others

Loyal... Offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs, local
clubs, through which Amateur radio in the United States is represented
nationally and internationally.

Progressive... With the knowledge abreast of science, a well built and
efficient station and operation above reproach.

Friendly... Slow and patient operating when requested; friendly advice and
counsel to the beginner; kindly assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interests of others. These are the hallmarks of the Amateur spirit.

Balanced... Radio is a avocation, never interfering with the duties owed to
family, job, school, or community.

Patriotic... Station and skill always ready for service to country and
community.

Hey Peddler

i like your post..
it would be nice if we could show the better side of radio..
your post should be read by many..

these trivial differences where ham trashes cb - 11 meter and vice versa is really something that i will sum up as..

if you do not have something good to say then say nothing..

That Advanced and Extra class operators seem to be where many of the problems or complaints stem from...
i am surprised for they are supposed to be cream of the crop (oh well ..lol ) and shame to those who are the trouble makers

Moleculo
right on

let us hope that our community is lending a proper hand to those in need as we speak..

Let us ALL put these petty items behind us..
Let us ALL see the Good

Yep. Advanced and Extra is most of the trouble makers. And most of the idiots are not on 2 meter or 10 meter. It is on 75M, 40M etc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.