• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Getting back into CB and have a issue with either RCI 69 base or Dosy meter.

Rhinoky

Jan 31, 2021
Hello all,

I've been away from CB for about 30 years and just getting back into it. I like the black box style Galaxy radios back in the day and I just recently bought a RCI 69 Base because I like the CB style functions on the front of the 69 over the 2995DXCF that looks more for amateur to me . I bought the radio with alignment as part of the deal from a reputable shop. I also bought a cheaper meter mainly for the extra 6 digit freq counter and SWR function. It is a Dosy TFB-3001. I know you get what you pay for but it was in the budget after buying the radio and a Maco V-5000 and I will upgrade this summer.

The issue I'm having is the radio is only showing around 40 watts swing on this meter and the paper I got from the shop that set up my radio said the radio was set up to be clean as possible and is doing between 90-100 watts AM, and 80 - 90 on SSB. I don't know if the meter is jacked or the radio is having issues at this point.

One thing I noticed is the meter settings dial is labeled 10 100 and 1000, like I bought it to be... I opened up the meter and looked inside so see if I could see anything visual and I noticed the board in back that has the pots on it to adjust your dead key shows 20 200 and 2K beside the pots. I had one of these meters back in the day and my father popped open the Dosy and set it to be aligned with his Bird Meter at his shop so we were all on the same page and I could've swore it read 10, 100 and 1k on the board in the meter.

I'm just wondering if Dosy is using the same board in all these meters now or if they possibly put the wrong board in this meter... which is cutting my wattage in half and is a 2k board in a 1K meter case? It may be a long shot but it's weird that a radio that supposed to do 70 - 100 watts outta the box is only doing 40 watts and the shop said it was doing between 90-100.

I'll be taking both the radio and meter to my uncle's shop ( who took over for my father when he passed) next week some time, but in the meantime I was just wondering if this was normal for Dosy to use the same board in all this model meter and just changes parts for 1k, 2K and 4K meters and so on? BTW SWR is 1.1 on ch1 and 1.15 on ch 40 with around 94 ft coax run.

thanks in advance.

These meters always measured Peak not RMS, I should see peak, I have on every radio I've ever had using this style. The Galaxy DX98 VHP Advertised 200 watts PEP and I saw more than that on these meters and I should see the Peak on this one.

I understand the radio will not do 100 watts RMS, They never claim they would, even in the advertisement for it, it says 100 watts PEP.. So... I"m not sure why RMS was brought into this.

I can agree with Power should be measured with a Dummy Load, but I currently don't have one.

Thanks for the reply.

Rhino Ky

Radio should be doing higher than 40 watts (at least that’s what ranger and some shops claim). Bells video shows 80W. Either meter isn’t accurate or radio tune wasn’t great or something else is wrong.

You have all new stuff so you don’t really have a baseline to know which is wrong. I wouldn’t worry about it too much if you’re going to have your uncle look at it in a week.

Reactions: Lino Bob

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.