• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Getting my 6m antennas done. Moxon 1st.

HomerBB

Jan 4, 2009
Rogers, Ar
Three years ago I tossed together a quick and dirty 6m Moxon. It worked well, but was really rough in some ways. This was one of my "walker" specials.
This same antenna was/is 100% the metal parts of aluminum crutches and a walker. I went back over it refining the look, and the dimensions.
While it definitely still looks like a homebrew, it's sharper and less weight.
When I first produced this antenna the bandwidth was as good as expected, with low SWR across the band except in the lowest SSB DX portion where it rose to near 2.0:1. This was not what I wanted. I knew it would have to change. I made contacts in spite of the unhappy SWR.
Once I had cleaned it up I found that the antenna stubbornly held onto a 2:1 SWR at 50 Mhz.
This time I read some more and decided I would add a twist that should lower the resonance of the reflector from somewhere above 54 Mhz as it was to a "better place".
I took my hacksaw and directly in the middle of the reflector I cut it in half. I then added a hairpin match (7.5" x 2"), across that gap and checked my antenna again. Why did I choose those dimensions? Because that's the length of the 1/16" aluminum rod I had on hand without cutting a new piece up. My results:
20210725_175629-01.jpeg

20210725_172836-01.jpeg
20210725_172806-01.jpeg
20210725_172757-01.jpeg
20210725_172736-01.jpeg

That extra boom on the front I am going to trim off.
Where is X=0? 49.700 Mhz. No, I'm not going to twiddle with it. Perfect is not the enemy of good at this QTH.

Last edited:

Homer,
Correct me if wrong, but I believe you've posted in the past that you didn't care for the wire Moxon(s) you've brewed up. Can I ask why? I have one planned.

Reactions: Slowmover
My reasons may be meaningless, but I'll share.
1. Structurally less robust. The central complaint of quad antenna users is the weather problems.
2. Very strong winds warped those I made so I experienced fluctuating performance.
3. Too much extra struts making to achieve rigidity. Wires that are antenna, wires that are not.
4. Easier to tune the tubing style.
5. Weather doesn't affect the tubing style.
6. Tubing is dirt cheap at thrift stores.
7. Tubing is rigid and self supporting.
8. Although the Moxon is by nature very broadbanded, I believe the tubing diameters over the wire provide even more bandwidth.

Once made, always made with tubing.

I hope that helps.

Don't want to pester you but I have two more questions:

Are the two reflector halves now separated only the width of the saw blade thickness?

Did you adjust the hairpin at all to get your numbers, or leave it at 7-1/2"?

Thx

Reactions: Slowmover
It is only the width of the saw blade, except, when it was sawn all the way through it separated about 2 saw blade widths.
I did not adjust the hairpin at all. I liked the numbers and wanted to be happy :). There is enough sadness in this world.:(

To finish up my 6m set I went with this design because of its simplicity. I had done it many times for 11m and given them to "folks without funds" to help them get on the air.
Screenshot_20210724-220809_DuckDuckGo-01.jpeg

Of course, it's a vertical dipole. There is not much local traffic here, but there are 3 or four repeaters in the area, one of which is a linked repeater that is fun for getting QSOs all over the nation. Currently it's down, but it will be back up.
The vertical is displaying a good bandwidth coming in with a 1.4:1 SWR at 50 Mhz, 1.0:1 at 52.5 Mhz, and 1.4:1 at 54Mhz.
In the photos you see the simplicity of the antenna. The Walmart clearance extendable FG fishing pole $3, the PVC nipple (cut from a $4 tube) $.67, a Body Armor jug free, coax $8, bulkhead double female UHF connector $4, SS hose clamp $3, made from Trex handrail connection former free.
Cost: $18.67
I will be painting both antennas an azure color to make them look better and blend against the sky.

20210729_094415-01.jpeg
20210729_094427-01.jpeg
20210729_094427-02.jpeg
20210729_095854-01.jpeg

I estimate that the cost of both antennas is about $38.00

I will post photos after I paint them.

Last edited:
Build the Featherweight 6-Meter Yagi (n5dux.com)

The Feather-wieght may be small In size, but it appears to perform like a fully grown contender on the alr. I live on a small lake in southern New Hampshire with tall trees and granite hills in almost every direction-a poor VHF location at best! Despite this handicap, I logged over 150 grids and 20 countries via Sporadic-E last summer using a pair of these antennas(y):Dsupported by a simple chimney mount. Even during the off-season when the band seems relatively dead, I routinely work stations from New Jersey to Nova Scotia. Not bad for a station in a hole!
K1BQT

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.