• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Getting started/making first contact

Well, I've officially completed a rite of passage and constructed my first antenna - a 2m J-pole. Photos tomorrow when I can get a picture of it.

What do you guys recommend for a new key? I have a learner's one but it is bare as bare bones gets and a 2x4 would be less stiff. Just like with the rigs, I'm willing to eventually put a good amount behind it if I can find something that will last me.

Morse Keys & Paddles

Choose what you like...So many choices...
Don't worry so much about sending, that just takes time to fine your way and timing...
Learning to receive is much more important....practice...practice....practice...Listen....listen...listen:laugh:
All the Best
Gary

Last edited:
Morse Keys & Paddles

Choose what you like...So many choices...
Don't worry so much about sending, that just takes time to fine your way and timing...
Learning to receive is much more important....practice...practice....practice...Listen....listen...listen:laugh:
All the Best
Gary

What are some good qualities in a key to look for?

And for everyone who's contributed to this thread before, I almost made first contact a few minutes ago. Caught a few guys on 439.075, although when I finally tried to get on the conversation I think either I was too low power to be heard or they got off.

So, it still eludes me, but this is progress!

I'd start out learning on an iambic or single-lever keyer first.

Single-levers are easier to learn electronic keying with. Then bump up to the iambic for speed.

Some guys will strongly advise using a straight key first, so you can learn proper timing.

Even though I learned on a single-lever, straight keys help you master timing and rhythm that will define YOUR "fist".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'd start out learning on an iambic or single-lever keyer first.

Single-levers are easier to learn electronic keying with. Then bump up to the iambic for speed.

Some guys will strongly advise using a straight key first, so you can learn proper timing.

Even though I learned on a single-lever, straight keys help you master timing and rhythm that will define YOUR "fist".

Makes sense.

How much should I be looking to spend on the first key? That is, is up to say, $100 and a half a worthwhile price for a good key?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.