• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Getting SWR under control

Seems this thread has taken on its own life. I ended up stopping at a radio shop and it looks like the problem is the swr reading the radio shows (it’s one of these new digital jobs) is far off what the techs meter showed. Who woulda thunk that a brand new radio would be out like that on an swr reading? Not sure if that is reasonable or not but this is what they told me

Reactions: Slowmover
Wow that's way off.

I'm going to assume that's a 4ft CB antenna not a CB/10meter antenna which these have a much longer whip and adjustment point. The fiberglass CB antennas typically have a real short whip(if you can call it that) for fine tune adjustments only. CB antennas are usually factory tuned to be close.

In this case you should rule out things by switching with known working parts. Just because it's new doesn't mean it can't be defective. Try temporarily running a different coax, then CB antenna and recheck using each one then both together.

Also what are you using to check it with, your radio? Did it give you better readings before with another antenna in the same truck?

A good external SWR meter (preferably an antenna analyzer) with a short jumper coax at the antenna if possible should be used to check the SWR then check it again at the radio's end of the main coax and note the differences.

Are you using those bird perch antenna mounts designed for Freightliner truck mirrors? These are solid mounts that will provide a good D.C. ground which is necessary for mobile antennas.

thanks for the tips. Turned out the radio seems to have a wrong swr reading. It’s a four foot Wilson wip and I am using one of those Wilson mirror mounts made for Cascadia. Exactly like the one below actually

That's the one I was thinking of, the double bolt.

Yes, he should be using that.

this is actually the very one I am using. Now my next question is ‘would a longer antenna help me regarding the swr issue or with transmission or receiving?’ The tech mentioned that Cascadias seem to prefer a five foot rather then the four foot?

Antenna (on sturdy mount) should be, IMO, more than 5’ tall itself and reach closest to 14’ total height.

I use the same 7’ Skipshooters on this KW t680 that I ran previously on a Cascadia Evo in 2018 (Pro Comm adjustable mount not shown above).

OP, if you’re interested I’ve a t680 title thread going (updated today). Look under “New Posts” at top of screen page.

Nearly all but truck model details also apply to a FL Cascadia. I wrote it manly as an overview, then per-truck details.

Height is Might

My posts start at about #25

Bring any questions here.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.