• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Getting SWR under control

Mr. Luvzlivin.
Sorry for derailing your thread with the posts on the Evil Drink, sometimes things get a little out of hand here. Now back to your issue.

If you have not already, your next best move is to beg, borrow or buy a reasonably priced SWR/wattmeter so you can tune the antenna you have already purchased. As you have learned some built-in SWR meters can be inaccurate and even the good ones are not the best choice for tuning an antenna, an external meter is a better choice.

Tilting your shorter antenna slightly forward will help to move the antenna's loading coil away from the sheet metal of the door and A pillar, reducing signal reflection that may prevent successful tuning / low SWR.

IMO do not count on your antenna mount alone to supply a good RF ground / RF return path, no matter how many attachment bolts it uses. A separate grounding strap, preferably Tinned Braided Strap, should be used to electrically bond either the truck door or the antenna mount itself to sheet metal or frame of the truck. Keep any grounding straps as short as possible. The strap is usually available at CB shops or online. This step can sometimes be a pain in the arse but your antenna system will work much better with it. This should allow you to tune your antenna to a reasonably low SWR.

Slowmover is absolutely right about a longer antenna being better, but you can get your mount and grounding issues solved first with what you have and then upgrade when you are ready.

Best of luck and 73

Antenna (on sturdy mount) should be, IMO, more than 5’ tall itself and reach closest to 14’ total height.

I use the same 7’ Skipshooters on this KW t680 that I ran previously on a Cascadia Evo in 2018 (Pro Comm adjustable mount not shown above).

OP, if you’re interested I’ve a t680 title thread going (updated today). Look under “New Posts” at top of screen page.

Nearly all but truck model details also apply to a FL Cascadia. I wrote it manly as an overview, then per-truck details.

Height is Might

My posts start at about #25

Bring any questions here.
Thanks
Those radio SWR meters are not the most accurate. Mine isn’t either but not far off like yours. Glad you got it sorted!!
thx. It’s not perfect but at 1.5 I guess it will do…

3B53A90B-C321-4B28-9A4A-8B0003704A2A.jpeg

Here’s the way I ran two (2) 7’ Skipshooters with an aftermarket cophase harness on an ‘18 Cascadia Evo. Tilted to just barely clear 14’ on Pro Comm Mounts.

That antenna pair now on a Kenworth T680; height clearance at 13.75’ total. Identical company truck next to it with factory antennas. Note height difference. These get ABOVE the 53’ van. Slight tilt forward on aftermarket Pro Comm mounts.

22AB1074-A4A4-4834-AFD3-F119E85F96CF.jpeg

Below, the way fourstringburn ran a single off an earlier model.

Height is Might.

5002BD1B-DFF6-4C78-9A10-92E25F439066.jpeg

The Big Dogs gotta have a long leash.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.