• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Glenn 1600 linear has a cousin. Galaxie 2000.

Glenn used that 'wackadoodle' transformer / rectifier scheme because he was a transformer manufacturer first, amp and VFO manufacturer second.

Those transformers where sold to other industries.

He used multiple rectifiers stacked because the windings may or may not (never did get that answer) have been rated for use at 1600 volts (the last winding in a series stack). Flashover problems become a real issue.

Galaxie and Glenn where all made in the same place, which is now a rest home. Odd how things work out.

Old man Glenn's house still has the tower in the front yard, last time I went by a few years ago. He passed away, but the original house is still in the family.

It had been 25 plus years since I had been there before. Glenn was an old man then. Or maybe I was just a smart ass kid in my 20s and he wasn't that old :)

Galaxie name was used to throw off Uncle Charlie. The FeeCees was a real threat back in the day. Kind of the same way Andy changed the name of Golden Falcon to Loudmouth. After Loudmouth sweep tubes stopped being made Andy started making 8877 based amplifiers.

Notice in the spec sheet that Glenn used 4CX250R tubes. They are the rugged tubes with more dissipation than the 4CX250B series. It was common to replace the originals with the regular B series tubes. This raises IMD as people drive the snot out of them trying to get the same power output the R series tubes would reliably deliver.

Good to see you still kicking Nomad. Been awhile.

From the mighty blue waters of the Caribbean O-Chin.

--Toll_Free

Glenn used that 'wackadoodle' transformer / rectifier scheme because he was a transformer manufacturer first, amp and VFO manufacturer second.

Those transformers where sold to other industries.

He used multiple rectifiers stacked because the windings may or may not (never did get that answer) have been rated for use at 1600 volts (the last winding in a series stack). Flashover problems become a real issue.

Galaxie and Glenn where all made in the same place, which is now a rest home. Odd how things work out.

Old man Glenn's house still has the tower in the front yard, last time I went by a few years ago. He passed away, but the original house is still in the family.

It had been 25 plus years since I had been there before. Glenn was an old man then. Or maybe I was just a smart ass kid in my 20s and he wasn't that old :)

Galaxie name was used to throw off Uncle Charlie. The FeeCees was a real threat back in the day. Kind of the same way Andy changed the name of Golden Falcon to Loudmouth. After Loudmouth sweep tubes stopped being made Andy started making 8877 based amplifiers.

Notice in the spec sheet that Glenn used 4CX250R tubes. They are the rugged tubes with more dissipation than the 4CX250B series. It was common to replace the originals with the regular B series tubes. This raises IMD as people drive the snot out of them trying to get the same power output the R series tubes would reliably deliver.

Good to see you still kicking Nomad. Been awhile.

From the mighty blue waters of the Caribbean O-Chin.

--Toll_Free
Good to see you, been a long time.

Jeff

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
Good to see you, been a long time.

Jeff
Yes, it has been a minute. Or a few years, depending on how you want to look at it :)

I live in the Caribbean now. There is not ONE CB on my island. A few ham operators, but that's about it. I take that back. I have seen one antenna. On a coworkers Jeep. That he brought from the States.... And, he does know what a linear is. Good times.

You still in the same place? One of my really good lifelong friends moved there a few years ago. She and her better half.

--Toll_Free

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Yes.
Yes, it has been a minute. Or a few years, depending on how you want to look at it :)

I live in the Caribbean now. There is not ONE CB on my island. A few ham operators, but that's about it. I take that back. I have seen one antenna. On a coworkers Jeep. That he brought from the States.... And, he does know what a linear is. Good times.

You still in the same place? One of my really good lifelong friends moved there a few years ago. She and her better half.

--Toll_Free
Yes, still up here, I have settled in and as long as wildfire leaves us alone don't plan on leaving.
Good to see you around.
I was thinking of you the other day, my brother picked up a DX 111v modulator and I told him I only knew of one other one on the west coast from the old days.
Last time we talked you were down south up on the mountain.
Good to see you are still active.
Don't stay away so long next time.

All the best.

Jeff

Last edited:
I had no problem selling my 6 tube Glen Amp for $5000.00
I have one left and would always buy another if the price were right.
Hi. I came across a glen 2400 that is intact except for the input circuit is missing. The schematic shows the configuration but no details on it's make up. Do you have this info. Thanks,Sal

The "Upload a File" button just below the reply-text box is probably the easiest option.

Hi nomad. Picked up a glen 2400 that is intact except the input circuit is missing. Do remember or know the details of the circuit . The schematic gives no info on specs only a drawing. I need to know how many turns ID and tap.

Attachments

• 20210316_202554.jpg
    20210316_202554.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 66

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated