• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GM noise

RC4

Jan 12, 2022
Does anyone out here have any experience with using Ham or CB in GM Trucks? My 955 gets about 3 s units when the my 18 Silverado Z71 is running but when I turn it off open the door and close it the noise goes away after about 45 seconds. If I hit the break or flash my brights while the truck is off the noise also will reappear but goes away after about a minute as well. Thank you

Does anyone out here have any experience with using Ham or CB in GM Trucks? My 955 gets about 3 s units when the my 18 Silverado Z71 is running but when I turn it off open the door and close it the noise goes away after about 45 seconds. If I hit the break or flash my brights while the truck is off the noise also will reappear but goes away after about a minute as well. Thank you
How do you have the radio power connected to your truck?
Sounds like it's the can-bus system creating noise that your radio is picking up.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
If the noise is riding in on the power cord there are options that can reduce it. If it's arriving through the antenna your SOL. There are so many things in modern vehicles that create noise and electronic spikes. Fuel pump noise, alternator whine, led light package, smart phone charging station, touch screens, electronic fans, lane assist and CAS. Some newer vehicles are worse then others.

I've had many GM trucks and never experienced what you described. Always had a good ground and power ran to battery (fused). Antennas of various flavors and no issues. Only problem I had was when my son installed LED lights. Then I'd have around 7-8s units of static. Needless to say, those bulbs went bye bye.

I had a 93 Toyota pickup that had noise when running. I had changed the spark plugs out for some Splitfires. I changed them back to the factory plugs and the noise went away.
I think Toyota had a patented type plug specification at the time...if I remember correct.
Not a GM, but just an experience I had.

Quickest first test is the antenna plug. Turn up the volume, turn off the ANL, NB, RF Gain full up. Now unplug the antenna from the radio.

The noise you still hear is what a power-line filter will serve to remove or reduce.

And if all the noise goes away, the power line is not a useful point of attack. The radio is hearing what comes down the antenna. Suppressing that kind of noise at its source is usually the only hope.

Reactions: loosecannon
Unplug the fuse for the factory radio. You will see noise dissappear. Had a new Sierra a few years back and it was the screen on the radio. Even with radio turned off I got the noise. As soon as key was turned to the on position. Even with truck not running.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.