• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GMRS or CB

Yes, the rules basically state that everyone transmitting in your group needs to say your call sign every 15 minutes, but as you probably know, there’s an exception clause that’s very confusing and if not argumentative. The FCC suggested that a unit number be placed after your call sign for each member. That’s what I would do if I was working through a repeater. When using the radios to talk with family or associates that's within a mile, I would use one of the FRS simplex frequencies that is shared with GMARS, particularly if your radios can also be narrow banded at 2 watts on those frequencies.
That is true, the FRS radios can also use the GMRS channels. So the difference is the amount of power and the bandwidth. So can anyone tell how much power we are running by listening? They might be able to tell the bandwidth maybe. I would hate for the GMRS police to get me. Haha!

CB but, unless you got FM with toned squelch by running some exotic imported rig, "10 meter radio" or converted low band gear, there is a good chance the other operator will turn his shit off after 15 minutes. Especially if you talking to a wife/daughter or girlfriend

CB but, unless you got FM with toned squelch by running some exotic imported rig, "10 meter radio" or converted low band gear, there is a good chance the other operator will turn his shit off after 15 minutes. Especially if you talking to a wife/daughter or girlfriend
You're replying to a 2 year old post

Most Overlanders and Off-Roaders are running GMRS. GMRS repeaters are fairly common in large areas of the US, but not all. GMRS and CB both have significant advantages and disadvantages. It also has a lot to do with what the preferred radio service is in your area. I have a President Andy II in my truck and have to fall back on some really old Motorola T5950 FRS/GMRS handhelds to communicate on the trail sometimes. I just bit the bullet and ordered a Wouxan KG-1000G for the truck. I am running a President Iowa antenna on the left fender and will probably run something like a Browning BR2445 low-profile antenna on the right fender.

Most off road four wheel drive guys use CB Radio and most also use a linear amplifier. We used GMRS type hand held radios on a quail hunting trip, being in site with everybody we still could not talk to each other. That night we thru the GMRS radios in the fire. Used our ham two meter hand held radios, and they worked great. And a few times CB hand held radios were used and had no problems.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

That I don't understand because we use GMRS hand helds in Deer hunting season in northeast PA ( hills,dales, & trees ) no line of sight. Granted we are not at great distance apart but they work OK for us and are Quite. You have to make sure your all using the same security code & channel. I have bumped mine off channel before. I laugh because some guys in the group hate when someone talks until they need help. LOL

That I don't understand because we use GMRS hand helds in Deer hunting season in northeast PA ( hills,dales, & trees ) no line of sight. Granted we are not at great distance apart but they work OK for us and are Quite. You have to make sure your all using the same security code & channel. I have bumped mine off channel before. I laugh because some guys in the group hate when someone talks until they need help. LOL
We use the MURS frequencies, good hand helds get out about 3-5 miles, mobiles with a decent antenna about 10-15 miles, my base station 20-30 miles, and the frequencies are usually very quiet.

Reactions: whiteastro
I use both CB and GMRS. We've got a couple of radio clubs here working on a linked GMRS repeater network that will connect all of South Florida - and I do mean all - from Key West north to West Palm Beach and over West to the Naples/Ft. Myers area. A lot of guys doing a lot of work to make it happen, but it looks like it is going to happen.

When I go overnight boating I take both a CB and a GMRS radio on board. The GMRS gets the nod when I hit the road locally. However, the CB gets the nod if my roadtrip travel destination takes me beyond South Florida.

Last edited:
I think each one has their purpose. We use GMRS for local coms in the neighborhood. My wife takes care of her mother who lives down the street. The GMRS handheld radios are convenient and fit in a pocket nicely.

For road trips with multiple vehicles, we use CB. The vehicle mounted antennas and long wave length makes CB better suited for traveling. Also convenient to monitor ch19 for traffic conditions.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.