• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GMRS or CB

I just received my GMRS license.

Well...I have to say that for over 2 hours there has been chatter...more like conversations. I was really surprised! There were about 5 different people talking about different subjects. Not jumping in and double keying. A lot different from some CB chatter. I did notice however that there is more adult conversations on USB/LSB.

Nice to have both! Trying to get my HAM soon!

Ok..I am updating my GMRS experience. Like I mentioned in my previous post there are “mature” conversations BUT I also heard the most vile stuff as well. It seems like 462.725 here is the “Super Bowl” frequency. Bunch of middle aged men making sexist or racist rants or just insulting each other. I did make a few contacts on another frequency being sure to identity myself with my call sign.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
The people that I have heard, sound like they are only interested in the utility of the radio to communicate with the people they want to talk to. Doesn't seem to be an openly social thing like CB or ham. Like their purpose is not to socialize but to do a specific other thing. I got the Midland farm bundle with a 15w mobile and two handhelds. Then I bought two more handhelds. And had a great time using them at the beach with the family. Is everyone in my group supposed to say my call sign? I think so but not sure.

The people that I have heard, sound like they are only interested in the utility of the radio to communicate with the people they want to talk to. Doesn't seem to be an openly social thing like CB or ham. Like their purpose is not to socialize but to do a specific other thing. I got the Midland farm bundle with a 15w mobile and two handhelds. Then I bought two more handhelds. And had a great time using them at the beach with the family. Is everyone in my group supposed to say my call sign? I think so but not sure.

The GMRS Super Bowl channel is pretty active. Well..here in So California.

Check out MyGMRS.com and they list all repeaters in your state. There you can find the tone for a particular repeater and if it’s open, closed, members only.

Check it out!!

Yes, the rules basically state that everyone transmitting in your group needs to say your call sign every 15 minutes, but as you probably know, there’s an exception clause that’s very confusing and if not argumentative. The FCC suggested that a unit number be placed after your call sign for each member. That’s what I would do if I was working through a repeater. When using the radios to talk with family or associates that's within a mile, I would use one of the FRS simplex frequencies that is shared with GMARS, particularly if your radios can also be narrow banded at 2 watts on those frequencies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.