1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Golden Eagle 68 transmitter.

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by 238, Sep 16, 2020.

1. 238

238 Active Member

Just rebuild the tone generator in my Golden Eagle transmitter,68t. After i changed the parts out, resistors & ne2 light. I hooked it up an every thing worked fine. After using it a little while i lost the audio. It still has a dead key, just no audio. Pin 7&9&3,on the 6bq5, have no voltage. Which pin does the voltage come in on. If i knew that for sure i could check back down the line.Jim/238 DSC00003.JPG

2. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

PA/CB switch.

3. 238

238 Active Member

I changed the cap on pin 3. Checked the one on pin 2. Then there was one on pin 5, to ground .01 x 3K, not on the sch. It checked 12.33NF. I had a .01x1K so i put that in there. Still no voltage, but i had audio. So i decided i would take a break. None of the schs show checking keyed or not keyed. When i woke up this morning that thought came to me. Hooked it back up. All the voltage checks out when it is keyed. Only things i changed was the caps 25ufx25v on pin 3 & the .01x3K on pin 5 then the audio came back. Thanks Jim/238

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  4. nomadradio

Changing more than one part at a time leaves the question which one made it work?

But the result is what matters. Congratulations for sticking with it and 73!

5. 238

238 Active Member

The 25ufx25v,C30, checked ok, but looked original. I had planed to change it any how, before my problem. The .01x3K disk cap read 12.33NF on my cap checker. If i crossed it correctly it should have read 10NF. If that is correct, would that much different cause that problem? Thanks Jim/238

6. nomadradio

C30 was probably the culprit. A .01uf cap would read 10nf if it's perfect, but the tolerance on that cap is probably 20 percent, which would make anything from 12 nf to 8nf acceptable. The disc cap is probably okay.

\

7. 238

238 Active Member

The disc capacitor went from pin 5 to ground. There is a black wire that goes to pin 5 & it goes around to all the tubes. What is the reason for the wire going to all the tubes? Thanks Jim/238

8. nomadradio

Um.. Yeah.

The black wires deliver the 6.3 Volts AC to light up the heater in each tube. The disc capacitor serves to prevent RF energy from leaking from one tube to the next by way of the shared heater wiring.

9. 238

238 Active Member

Thanks. Learn something new from day to day. Jim/238

10. 238

238 Active Member

I am going to change out C24, 40/40/40 x 450v, on my Golden Eagle 68T transmitter. It is not leaking. I checked it with the wires & resisters hooked to it. It checked at around 60uf on 2 of the legs. Would it check correctly with resisters hooked to it. Jim/238