• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Golden Eagle MarkII

Yes, it's supposed to.

What WON'T work is the "On The Air" light on the Mark III receiver, pretty sure. So long as a Browning transmitter has a four-pole relay, it should be possible to modify it to do that, as well. Older Browning transmitters had a relay with only three sections, and can't do that trick.

I'm curious. Did the SSB Mark III transmitter burn up its mode (AM/USB/LSB) switch? Seems to be the weak link in that unit, most often.

I don't know what happened to it. It had sat a long time and when I plugged it in a little smoke came out. I haven't looked inside it yet. It won't key.

Thanks
Ray

Failed filter capacitors in the power supply. When they break down and short, the rectifier diodes are usually damaged, the little 10-ohm surge resistor burns, and you smell smoke. With luck, the correct size fuse is in place, and turns it all off. If the fuse has been replaced with one that has a larger rating, the transformer will get zapped.

The classic failure for those filters is to die very soon after being revived from a long shelf visit. MOST especially if they are the factory-original parts. They weren't meant to last 15 or 20 years, let alone 35. The only rational cure is to replace every electrolytic in the radio at the same time. Once the first one goes, the rest of them will follow behind soon, failing one or two at a time.

Mr Nomadradio, I got the MarkII and everything seems to work for now. I was wondering if the Siltronix model "3" would work with it. It worked with my Mark III but I really don't know about the MarkII. Thanks Ray

Hi Ray,
The "3" version of the Siltronix 90 puts out 16.27 MHz on channel 1. Matches the Mark III SSB transmitter, but not the AM version.

25 years ago Glenn Manufacturing sold a converter board (called the "326-1") that would adapt the Glenn slider to a transmitter like that. Haven't seen one of those for sale in years.

The reason you need it has to do with the crystals in the radio. Normally, you pull out a crystal and install the cable from the slider in its place. Select the channel that you plugged the slider into, and off you go. In the Mark III SSB tansmitter, the 16.27 MHz coming out of the slider is so far from your receive frequency that it doesn't cause receiver problems feeding into the tansmitter while receiving.

Trouble is, in your AM-only transmitter the crystal runs ON the same frequency as you are receiving. The slider will throw a "spot" carrier into your receiver, covering everybody up.

Years ago, we modified Pal sliders by installing a "key" transistor inside it, and a separate "keying" wire from the transmitter. The slider would only run when you keyed the mike or pressed the "Spot" switch.

Made a prototype batch of a board to take the place of the Glenn converter, and it uses a crystal to make the "-3" slider work with it. Trouble is, it's a prototype, and nowhere near ready for "prime-time". Can't really sell it as a do-it-yourself kit until a few things get refined, and a 'production' batch of them built to sell.

There is a fella named Alan who sells a slider for $150 plus shipping that's already set up for your transmitter.
tubesplus.tripod.com/tubespluscom/id8.html

Just checked the web page, and it's listed as fitting the S-23, Mark II and Mark III AM-only version.

Couldn't get him to sell me one, so I can't report how well it works from experience. Maybe you'll have better luck. And if you check out the old radio models on his "Items Wanted" page, maybe you have one of the early 40-channel radios he's looking for. You never know, he might trade out part of the sale price on a few of those. I'm gonna behave myself, and NOT tell you what he does with them.

MarkII to III

the answer is yes, I did this years ago, when I bought my first Browning golden eagle mark series, I had a mark II rec. and a Mark III transmitter, and wow was it a talker. it is very possible.

Good luck

Golden Eagle Elect.

Hey guys I have a Browning golden Eagle for sale, its a mark III, needs aligned and it should rec. well, tubes are good, I tested them and they are all 90- 98 percent so Alignment will bring it back to life, its been sitting for years in a dry storage unit. caps check good and that's why I'm sure just needs aligned. hit me up here for more info

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.