• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good am/ssb cb for tx star 250

undertaker

Undertaker
Apr 5, 2006
Texas
Just looking for a good ssb and am cb radio to run with my tx star 250..

any sugguestions!!

Thanks
:twisted: Bobby

S9? 2950? 2970??? heck, the 2970 could quite possibly do as much or MORE then a texas star dx250!!! it is a LOW DRIVE 2x2290 amp, designed for 13.8 volts & to make around 40 or 50 watts carrier & 160 watts PEP. more or less. it is an extremely durable, well built class AB1 amplifier designed for a stock, single final CB. though not my 1st choice, if you plan on a NEW CB, the ONLY thing that fits YOUR requirement of SSB & the amps requirement of 'low drive', would be one of the newer texas ranger SSB, LEGAL CB radios.
before somebody adds their 2 pennies worth, you could make a dx250 work with a connex 4600 or whatever the heck that high powered thingie is they have. but, why? if 557 already has a dx250, i assume he has the funds for something in 'its' class, radiowise. if HE would prefer a 2970, then, maybe sell the dx250 & add that cash to what he has & go for a bigger radio. THEN, he'll want a bigger amp, and a dx1200 or 1600 will be workable......
557, look at a tr966, 959 or something in that class. the receive is better then the 29XX radios, & your dx250 will make it xmit just as big!

Correct, a 2970 would be too much. A 2-2290 amp should accomodate a standard dual final radio very well though. A standard class c output amp should put out around 120 rms with about 18 peak bird into it. Give or take a little. The config. on a Texas Star biased amp may be different, but should be able to handle the same input power.

Perhaps I didn't understand the question properly. Are you looking for a plain CB radio or a CB radio that works on ssb also, such as the GrantXL or Cobra 148gtl? Galaxy makes a well defined line of 11 meter radios as well!

Bobby, you have had em all over the years I think. You might try and find a nice used Grant xl, If you want new the 949 and 959 from Galaxy are decent.

I ran a 2950 with a TS250 for several years. It was a great combination.

Just use a good watt meter to check your drive level with the 2950 so you aren't overdriving the TS250 with it.

Also, let that 250 breathe. It really liked to run about 60-80W dead key, had great swing at that level and was stone reliable for years. It's been a while but I think I ran it on the medium power setting for that.

I had a TS250, 667, 1600. The 250 stayed. It gave the best balance of usable power for mobile where I could reach anyone that could easily be heard in mobile conditions and didn't kill my stock power system in the vehicle.

The TS amps worked decent on SSB as well.

undertaker said:
Just looking for a good ssb and am cb radio to run with my tx star 250..

any sugguestions!!

Thanks
:twisted: Bobby

Get A Galaxy 959 if you want a plain old Cb. It would drive it real nice. The galaxy 949(No freq counter)/959(has a freq counter)/2547(base station Version) are all the same and make excellent mobile amp driving radios. the can be tuned to swing like 20-28 watts sideband.
Are you looking to talk SSB primarily or AM. I think mine swings like 12-15 AM.

The 949
galaxy949.gif

the 959
dx-959.gif

The 2547 if you wanna run the amp in the base with out a power supply for the radio
galaxy_dx2547.jpg

202 we are on the side

BIONIC_TEXAN88 said:
grant xl or 148, ar144 would be great choices.

YES the grant and the cobra 148 id go with those. Or even the Grant LT if you can find one. (the lt is the one with the backlit knobs and stuff) no difference in performance but hey it looks cool

THe XL
grantxl.jpg

The LT
GrantLT.jpg

The 148
Cobra_148GTL.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.