• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good mics?

depends on how the radio is tuned where mic's will make a differents weather good /bad or just OK ......many stock mic's sound very good after a tune and also help to keep down back ground noise , most tuned radios really don't need power mic's in vehicals `, alls one really does is end up cracking the volume on them anyway trying to exscape back ground or over modulation from them........If a radio is just a out of the box virgin , then a power mic would work rather well with out any complacations becuase the audio from the radio is only between 60 and 80% or less....there's also grounding matters as well concerning antenna systems in vehicals where power mic's can be problems as well if the system doesn't have good grounding........magmounts come to mind. Your PC - 78 is a damned good radio !! with plenty of audio to spare , If you have had it tuned ? if not ...I think you would be good to go with your choice of power mic's to go . If it has been tuned I'd more then likely go with an RK-56 NC mic (non-amplifed) or a Astatic 636 (Non-amplified) or just the stock mic. .........

good mics

I would personally recommend the DP-56, looks like a RK-56 but works much better. Also has an antisqueal circuit in it. Cheaper than the road king and works better too.
marven :roll:

Hey Marv ? First off , I'd just like to say it's all good in the neighborhood. I've tried those knock off mic's more then once and I will say that they do work well for what they are , but as far as IM concerned they don't come close to the RK-56 !! , the others do not seem to have the drive as the RK-56er's . I've more then likely have used most of the NC mic's along with the top of the line Power mic's over the years , but depending on how ones radio is tuned ,different mic's sound different on different radios .....I personally can appreciate a driving mic (non-powered) on the way my radio is tuned for my amplifier in my ride , When I hear over modulation and back ground noise coming from others in there vehicals , I personally think it sounds like crap. I have to ask myself ,who in there right minds would like to sound like that ? Not me !! and the sad part about that is there sounding like that on 300.00 or so dollar radios :( a waste comes to mind. I will agree though , I've heard many say that they thought RK-56er's were crappy mic's as well. To each his or her own I guess. The mic works for me as well as others and IM just kicking myself in the a$$ for taking so long over the years to get one. No more power mic's in my rides. Peace

mics

Switchkit;
If I read you correctly, we are saying the same thing. I'm probably never going to use a power mic again. I used to 20+ years ago. But times have changed, and there's better ways now.
What I was saying to clarify, is if you haven't tried a PD 56 mic and the others I mentioned, in a side by side comparison; The difference is amazing. For a less than $50.00 mic, the DP-56 is hands down the modulation king. The turner Telex RK-56 used to be the mic I always favored, but not anymore.
The astatics don't even come close. Don't get me wrong, I do use an Astatic Echomax 2000 as a base mic. And yes, the radio the mic is on can limit your choices. I've seen radios with clipped limiters that didn't work with anything except the astatic 636l. Which I believe says it all.
marven :roll:

Well , if the DP-56 is what I think it is , they come in about 6 different colors , they sell for about 20.00 but I've seen shops get damned near 50 for them )-: REMARKABLE !!! it is possible we are talking about 2 different mic's here ? my humble apologizes if that's the case. As far as IM concerned ,at 20.00 bucks you get what you pay for at 50 , that's another story in my book )-:. They do not come close to the RK-56 period !! The drive is just not there in my experiance !! , The RK-56 at roughly 50.00 has proved itself for many over the years , yes they seem to have had there problems as far as the PTT goes on them , but nothing a hair tie won't take care of or a new PTT . As far as clipped limiters go ,I can only hope a guy would use any kind of NC mic if they want to even sound close to sounding good in others receive. I've been wrong before and I'll more then likely be wrong again , but until I hear and or use any other mic , The RK-56 is all she wrote for me , they also do just as well on SSB , now that I think about it. ........this reminds me of another microphone that gets pretty good prop's out there SRA-158 Texas Ranger Stock mic .........I will agree that they are made very solid with good cords on them , other then that IM not impressed with them what so ever !! They sounded bassy and took away from my true sounding voice , hell !!! the old style Cobra coffin mic's sound 100% better then they do. (-: You see Marv , it doesn't matter what I think , it only matters to me and my experiance as what you think matters to your's. (-: If whatever anybody uses works for them ,I'd guess to say that's all that really matters. Peace

dway87 said:
I have a Uniden PC78 elite and I want to get a better mic for it. Any suggestions?

Microphones vary in quality for a variety of reasons: The rig, the mike, and persons voice. If you want a "Crisp" sound, the D104M6 will do the job, but if your voice is already "Crisp", then something like a Turner Plus 3 would be the trick and add some bass. And then sometimes the stock microphone and radio is the best choice. I had a Uniden PC-122 with the stock microphone and everyone said it was the closest to my own voice.

i never tried the Turner Plus 3
i remember my Base Turner Plus 2 and was best base mike i ever used...

and yes....sometimes the stock mike is the best
as is the case with my 706 MKIIG

I run Sadelta Microphones with all of my radios exept the Pres George, it has a darn good modulation. My favorite is Sadelta Echo Master Plus Classic.

for a long time I was looking for the "best" mic... After looking around I finally went with a RK-56...I have had nothing but good feedback from people on other radios...VERY happy with it.

Thanks,
Casey

dway87 said:
I have a Uniden PC78 elite and I want to get a better mic for it. Any suggestions?
The mic I recommend would depend on who your "technician" is, and not on what type of radio you have.My butchered pc76 by Justin works. Great with a dead 636L with almost no audio out of the mic. My uncut PC76's perform great with super loud mics. If you were to switch mics, justins radio would squeal like a pig, and my uncut radios would have weak audio. There is no such thing as the perfect mic for every radio. If every radio tech would adhere to the same standards then maybe we could pick a mic that works great on all radios.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.