• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good small setup?

blkhwkdr

Mar 18, 2006
325 Texas
Hello all,

New to the forum. Due to limted room in my vehicle, I'm looking at this as a starter setup.

Uniden Pro 520 XL <tuned by ??>
Cobra 75 Power mic
Wilson 1000 Trunk mount.

Would this be a good starter setup? Thanks for the opinions.

Jester
<radio info coming soon>

I would skip the Cobra 75 unless that is the last resort, they are not very big talkers. The Uniden 510,520, 122xl are good radio's. Then you have the Magnum 257 or the 79-290 with extra channels.

Had the 79-290 and I wouldn't recommend it:

- removeable faceplate is fragile; locking mechanism is plastic and breaks in short order

- receive is noisy and marginal

- not particularly inexpensive

It is a nice looking radio and very compact; if you aren't removing the faceplate and have a decent antenna, maybe it would be ok . . . . but it's not the best out there if you really use the radio.

Is the Rf Gain on the Pro 520XL a useable control? I'm looking for a good small radio to run on my bike. I tried the new cobra 19dx IV and the Rf control on it is useless. It is either on or off.

I use a 520 in the work truck-- nice radio, decent power-- with good crisp clear audio- very good choice for a small radio

I also do NOT like cobra power mics-- they really don't do much and in most radios they sound too bassy--- they don't have a heck of alot of gain-- the stock mic with a 520 will actually sound great--a local thought I was running a power mic and I had a 520 with stock mic and a wilson 1000 mag mount
Surprisingly good radio-- if you want a power mic get a DM-452-- they are cheap, lots of gain and nice audio with decent tone-- you can go inside the mic and set the gain higher and echo low or right off if you don't like it-- best mic in the $20- $25 range----better than the cobra

if it were me i would go with a magnum mini-mag. under 80 dollars and the conversion is a simple jumper change so you wont need to pay extra. it looks like a plane jane radio so most thieves will over look it. it uses a 4 pin mic so good power mics are easy to find, not the 5 pin din's on the smaller cb's. there tiny, has the extra channels and its pretty powerfull. they are actually pretty tough sounding little units. i like them alot.

as far as the antenna goes the wilson 1000 is a very solid choise. k40's are not a bad choise either. the wilsons are a little better at reducing interferance than most other brands.

for a mic you should look into finding a astatic d104 m6c or m6b. they are among the best powermic's. some of the superstar mics are very nice and cheap as well. noise canceling mic's are great for noisy enviroments or very hot radio's but you will loose some volume over a top of the line power mic. for most the trade off is worth it.

minimag.jpg

what do the tune up numbers look like on those mini mags at 100% modulation if you can get that much out of them ? Thanks ....

Hardhead said:
Is the Rf Gain on the Pro 520XL a useable control? I'm looking for a good small radio to run on my bike. I tried the new cobra 19dx IV and the Rf control on it is useless. It is either on or off.

Good little radio...I ran one on my bike for a few years and you will find out the stock mic will provide you with plenty of modulation and the RF gain on mine worked well.

Good little radio...I ran one on my bike for a few years and you will find out the stock mic will provide you with plenty of modulation and the RF gain on mine worked well.

Thanks,

Cool picture on your post.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.