• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good Tech Shop(s) in the South Jersey/Phila Area

JJim

Jul 2, 2005
www.yoursaftnet.com
Anybody know of any good "reputable" shops in the South Jersey / Philadelphia area. The only 2 around here are White Dotte in NJ and R & R Communications in Delaware. In my opinion, neither one of these shops are any good for working and mod'ing radios. White Dotte is where I bought my first radio, it was back to them 3 times for a modulation loss problem, after failing to fix it the 3rd time I (a total radio tech amateur) opened the radio and found 2 bad solder joints on the final and fixed it myself.
Almost 2 years later the very same radio went to R & R for an overhaul. Fix any problems that you may find. Please do not "peak and clip the radio" The radio came back fixed.
Voltage Regulator replaced, realigned PLL, VCO, and Receive. $50.00. Oh, BTW...... peaked and clipped like I asked NOT to be.
9 months later the radio is now completely losing the modulation again. Key the mic, drop a dead carrier on the channel and no modulation.
The kicker.......... This is a cheap Cobra 148 NW/ST radio. Were not talking about a complicated peice of equipment. Very basic, very standard radio.
All I want is a good shop with a good reputation so I can bring some of my better radios to.
..Galaxy 88
..Voyage VR9000
..President Lincoln (HR2510)
Anybody know of any?
Thanks

JJim

Hi JJim,

I can't help you with any shops in the Philly area, but you might want to shout on CH. 21 and get someone in the Pottstown Pa area to give you a phone # or directions to 2watt Willie in Birdboro Pa. Birdsboro is between Pottstown & Reading along Rt 422.
Seems most guys in this area take stuff to 2Watt. I can't tell you any personal experience with him, but what have you got to lose.
Also, you might ask if J.R. is still working on radios. He is just outside of Pottstown in Berks County. He hangs on Ch. 21 also and has a big signal. Lots of people in PA, NJ & Del have talked to J.R.

I had one of the Cobra 148 ST radios when they first came out.
Was only putting out about 8 watts on SSB. Found one of the PNP (or NPN, don't remember now) transistors was soldered in wrong. Someone must have been having a bad day in the Chinese labor camps :( Even after fixing it, it did the usual 18 watts on SSB, but it was basically a dog, so it is long gone.
Goold luck with your radio.

JJim said:
Anybody know of any good "reputable" shops in the South Jersey / Philadelphia area. The only 2 around here are White Dotte in NJ and R & R Communications in Delaware. In my opinion, neither one of these shops are any good for working and mod'ing radios. White Dotte is where I bought my first radio, it was back to them 3 times for a modulation loss problem, after failing to fix it the 3rd time I (a total radio tech amateur) opened the radio and found 2 bad solder joints on the final and fixed it myself.
Almost 2 years later the very same radio went to R & R for an overhaul. Fix any problems that you may find. Please do not "peak and clip the radio" The radio came back fixed.
Voltage Regulator replaced, realigned PLL, VCO, and Receive. $50.00. Oh, BTW...... peaked and clipped like I asked NOT to be.
9 months later the radio is now completely losing the modulation again. Key the mic, drop a dead carrier on the channel and no modulation.
The kicker.......... This is a cheap Cobra 148 NW/ST radio. Were not talking about a complicated peice of equipment. Very basic, very standard radio.
All I want is a good shop with a good reputation so I can bring some of my better radios to.
..Galaxy 88
..Voyage VR9000
..President Lincoln (HR2510)
Anybody know of any?
Thanks

JJim

check your PM

Not really in your backyard, but DTB in Carlisle, PA and Bob's CB in Strattanville, PA (I-80, center of state) both have good reps. Might be better to pack'em up and ship'em off? Just thinkin' out loud. ;)

PA really sounds like a CB kind of state . I wonder if the RF followed me all the way to So.Cal. back in 1963 ? I was born in Norristown PA. ..............Go figure. ;)

The one I recommend the most would probably be at exit 77 off interstate 81 at the wilco truck stop. His name is Charles Roy, and his number is
7176451462 . Or you could try dtb in carlisle pa.

sinners cb repair

Have you heard many of the radios Sinner works on? Most of those guys sound like keydown clowns. Lots of overmodulation and distortion.
Sasquatch and all those keydown guys in north jersey brag about sinners work, but when I'm in town, all the locals say my signal is about the cleanest they have ever heard.

another vouch here for 2-watt willie.....

ill see if i can dig his phone # up for you...his shop is only 2 or 3 miles from my house...

scott

Re: sinners cb repair

rabbiporkchop said:
Have you heard many of the radios Sinner works on? Most of those guys sound like keydown clowns. Lots of overmodulation and distortion.
Sasquatch and all those keydown guys in north jersey brag about sinners work, but when I'm in town, all the locals say my signal is about the cleanest they have ever heard.

Sasquatch had his radio done by the chinese guy in the bronx and so have a lot of others around here.

Listen to Double Trouble, Porkchop, and the guys who went to Sinner. No overmodulation crap sounding radios there.

Have facts before you put down a mans work!

SkipJunky said:
rabbiporkchop said:

Sasquatch had his radio done by the chinese guy in the bronx and so have a lot of others around here.

Listen to Double Trouble, Porkchop, and the guys who went to Sinner. No overmodulation crap sounding radios there.

Have facts before you put down a mans work!

STD

rabbiporkchop said:

Nobody has heard of you around here :roll:

What town would that be?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.