• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Got the Beam Up!

KB1TPX

W1MBZ
Jul 22, 2008
Warwick, RI 02818
The weather finally cooperated.(y)

Attachments

• radio, antenna, etc. 002.jpg
    radio, antenna, etc. 002.jpg
    802.2 KB · Views: 212
  • radio, antenna, etc. 003.jpg
    radio, antenna, etc. 003.jpg
    697.5 KB · Views: 135
  • radio, antenna, etc. 004.jpg
    radio, antenna, etc. 004.jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 99
  • radio, antenna, etc. 007.jpg
    radio, antenna, etc. 007.jpg
    764.2 KB · Views: 144

Looks Very nice, not too sure that rotator is upto the job though, it will struggle in strong winds to hold position. I could be wrong but if it is one of the cheaper ones I don't think they have any form of braking inside.
It will definately work for now but you may want to think about a more heavy duty one.
Just my opinion as I had similar problems.
Have fun and good DX.

Digger.

Looks Very nice, not too sure that rotator is upto the job though, it will struggle in strong winds to hold position. I could be wrong but if it is one of the cheaper ones I don't think they have any form of braking inside.
It will definately work for now but you may want to think about a more heavy duty one.
Just my opinion as I had similar problems.
Have fun and good DX.

Digger.

Oh I totally agree with you Digger. I just can't afford a heavy duty rotator just yet. BTW, I got that one used, extra cheap on eBay, so if it croaks,...no great loss. In the meantime though, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for an affordable heavy duty rotator.(y)

You might be presently supprised, I know someone with a channel master 9521 which looks like the one you have there and a 103 beam. It has been up for a few years now and a little ice and a lot of wind gusts lately.

You might be presently supprised, I know someone with a channel master 9521 which looks like the one you have there and a 103 beam. It has been up for a few years now and a little ice and a lot of wind gusts lately.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong they aren't too bad at first but they wear quickly
and with no breaking inside them the beam will move left to right in the wind.
I think we all agree they work to a point but I would rather advise of possible future failure than say nothing and his lovely beam comes crashing down.

Cheers Digger (y)

Well guys, as I said, I intend to buy a heavy duty unit as soon as I can afford it. They cost more than the antenna did!
BTW, that is a Radio Shack rotator up there right now, basically the same design as the Channel Master.

The weather finally cooperated.(y)

That is just the antenna I want to use and have been doing research on all day today. PLEASE do a test and let us know the results. 20X power magnification and 11 db gain sounds nice. I have seen them for around $160. I am impressed with what I have read about them. I was torn between the 'box kite':D Y-QUAD or the M 103C. I surely thought the Y-Quad would out perform the 301 by looks,but, looks must be decieving. I like both antennas but the Y-quad looks more impressive. Not that I am out to look like a Ham:D. I can pump 350+ watts into that 301, but, would like to know how it performs 'barefoot' as it is. I am glad you got a fine antenna so you can tell us how it performs(y). I definately want a beam antenna without getting much attention and without the high dollar cost. I will guess that, that antenna will out-perform the Y-Quad and will be worth every penny! I will be using my Connex 4400HP and occassionally :D my Texas Star 350HDV.Thanks. Scott V.(Palm Coast, FLA)

Nice little beam there
Very nice radio as well

Happy DXing
Do take care of that Rotor ASAP

I got my heavy duty
(35 square ft creat rotor for $100 .. a few yrs ago .. on Ebay)

So far, so good....

I've been shooting a strong signal to the Southern States, also the Islands, Bermuda, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, West Indies, etc.
Nothing West yet, but then I have'nt been receiving from that direction either. Still looking forward to shooting across "the pond" to Europe.(y)
Oh yeah and I'm going to raise it up another 10' or so to get it more above the roof peak, I think that is what is possibly blocking the signal to and from the West.

Last edited:
What kind of wattage are you using? I can push 400 if I need, but only want to if I need it. I was wondering if the multiplication seems to be on the mark. Have you tried to see how far you can talk on 5 to 10 watts? My choice will be between the PDL-2 type beam or the one you have. The one you have states better performance by far. I also wonder if the size difference is worth it. Please get back to us soon with.......Distance, conditions, and wattage used w/ reception results. I'm sure you are puting it through the tests. How high is it off the ground in your pics? Looks to be about 15 to 18 feet up. Thanks. Scott ;)

I'm turning all of this with a Channel Master Rotor...not saying I wouldn't like a HD rotor for sure. M104, 21 ft 1 1/4 sch 40 pipe, and an A99. Tower is 30 ft.

CopyofAntenna3.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.