• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Grant XL no receive

H1driver

Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2011
I have a Grant XL that appears to be deaf. Transmit is fine (typical stock 4w AM/12w SSB). The stock microphone seems fine and sounds good on my monitor radio. An external speaker also has no sound nor static. The PA works fine. The meter does not move for RX.

Any assistance to point me in some direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance .

Reactions: Eldorado828

Do you get a squelch "thump" from the speaker spinning the squelch knob briskly from end to end? Turn the volume full up to be sure.

If so, this is not just an audio problem. If the S-meter won't budge on channel noises, the problem is upstream from the audio circuits.

Next thing I would do is take the digital manual signal injector and poke the IF filters.

Digital, as in your index finger. Lay it onto the shaft of a small screwdriver and poke the tip onto the circuit point you want to inject with all the stray RF noise your body picks up from your surroundings.

This should get you a rowdy noise level on the output pin of each filter, first the AM ceramic filter. Then the SSB filter.

Should be louder on the output side than on the input side of each filter.

If this works, poking the gate pin of the first mixer FET should be next.

For that matter, could this just be a case of tweakeritis gone bad? Someone who twists every tuning slug in the radio while laser-focused on the wattmeter? A little history can save chasing wild geese.

A local AM station's transmitter was located a couple of miles away for years. Their signal would be large enough to get detected through the radio's IF stage this way. Got funny looks from customers when I poked a radio and a tent-revival preacher's patter came booming out the speaker.

Last edited:
I have a Grant XL that appears to be deaf. Transmit is fine (typical stock 4w AM/12w SSB). The stock microphone seems fine and sounds good on my monitor radio. An external speaker also has no sound nor static. The PA works fine. The meter does not move for RX.

Any assistance to point me in some direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance .
With no Ext. Speaker and no RX meter movement, have you checked your RX only voltage?

I had a very similar, if not identical issue with a 148gtl once. Turned out it was a 220uf 10v cap that shorted near the audio transformer.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.