• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Grant XL problems

Big_D

Jan 11, 2019
I picked up this grant xl at some point in time. It’s never been able to transmit or receive. There is a three position switch on the bottom that someone has put in. I’d take it to have it repaired but there isn’t anyone who fixes radios close to me anymore. I can’t figure out how to upload pictures. The switch has two wires coming from it with three capacitor looking things on the bottom of the switch.

Here are the pictures

Attachments

• 96CDC086-08A0-47CE-967F-B47437E344F6.jpeg
    96CDC086-08A0-47CE-967F-B47437E344F6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • 79A57BB5-9F4E-4034-9339-DE80B53FE980.jpeg
    79A57BB5-9F4E-4034-9339-DE80B53FE980.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • 4CDD00C9-496C-4A93-907E-1EC07A9137B7.jpeg
    4CDD00C9-496C-4A93-907E-1EC07A9137B7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 33F9FC69-7FD4-44FC-8943-A628214A11DE.jpeg
    33F9FC69-7FD4-44FC-8943-A628214A11DE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
That is a "oddballs" switch.

Oddballs refers to funny channels...

Funny channels refers to out of band ...

Means someone put in a channel kit to go to either uppers or lowers.

Looks serviceable - the Xtals were socketed.

(EDITS: Hmmm... Autocorrect - Not-Correct)

Last edited:
Reactions: midnight special
That is a crystal switch; this allows two more banks of 40 channels above and below the standard/legal 40 channels provided in a stock radio.

Too bad it isn't working, as this model is one of the finest radios ever built by Uniden.
A real keeper.
I'd get it fixed if you don't know how.

Reactions: walterjn
I've got a Grant XL and love it. Out of service now getting caps replaced, alignment etc.

Great radio. Get yours fixed someway BigD...it'll be worth it.

414096434.jpg

Reactions: walterjn and Robb
is there any chance I could solder that connect back on the bottom of the switch and it would work again? I did try to use it on a pa speaker and it works fine

That is a "oddballs" switch.

Oddballs refers to funny channels...

Funny channels refers to out of band ...

Means someone put in a channel kit to got either uppers or lowers.

Looks serviceable - the Xtals were socketed.
what do you mean by the Xtals were socketed? im new to this if nobody can tell

That Expo kit that's in there is probably why it's not working correctly, why it doesn't TX or RX. If that is removed, and the 11.325 crystal is re-installed on the main board, it would probably work fine.

~Cheers~

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N
Well, the work you took pictures of, is probably one of the main reasons why that radio isn't working.

Older mods that use mechanical parts like that shown, tend to corrode and lose contact or ability to make good connections - unless they're used on a regular basis.

The wires coming off that board are at X3 - that part is where it's soldered onto the extra channels switch...

GrantXLX3Socket.jpg
Not too worry though - just carefully unsolder that crystal, and unsolder and remove those wires where they are on the main board at X3 and resolder X3 - the above, back into where it belongs.

GrantXLX3.jpg

Then begin the process of recovery and see if she will work for you again - just be patient.

As usual, Andy has it covered.

And well.

When you remove the 11.325 crystal from the Expo kit be nice to the short legs on that crystal. Don't want one of them to break off before you can put it where the two wires come back out of the main circuit board. If you have to straighten one of them, pinch it between the jaws of a needle-nose plier. Don't bend the lead directly against the body of the crystal. This can put a lot of leverage against the wire where it exits the crystal case. That's a good way to break one of them off the crystal.

You'll never guess how I learned that.

Reactions: walterjn and S&W357
Well fellas I got it fixed. I didn't feel comfortable trying to remove that crystal from the switch without having a store close that I could grab another one so I just soldered the one leg back on the switch. All seems well for now. I appreciate all of your help and the quick responses.

Reactions: S&W357

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.