• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Greetings

tba02

WOOF
Jan 26, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Hey all,
I realized after lurking a while I was posting to a few threads and never formally said hello. I started in radio back in the heyday of CB but haven't done much in years, though I still remained active and interested in electronics. Since then I have dabbled in MURS, GMRS, and some APRS. My scanner app on my phone is used daily. About a month or so ago the little 1001z I had stopped receiving, and in conjunction the CB bug bit once again. I hoisted up an antenna, acquired a Grant XL followed soon after by a RCI-2950 that was too good a deal to pass up. With the current skip conditions I have been pretty consistent making contacts daily. I have a few more things to implement to the setup, but as of today what I have seems to be working and I should probably not mess with it too much. If I can hear you, I can generally reach you and vice versa (SSB). I do live near a shipping port so at times I'll get AM bleed over or have a trucker talking AM on 35-40, but such is life. At least I have a decent AM audience for a quick radio check.

Current Setup
Radio: RCI-2950
Amp: KL-203P
Antenna: Solarcon A99, feedline at ~25 feet.
Microphone: RF Limited 2018 Xtreme w/ all the toys off (recently added so I may go back to the stock microphone as that got good reports and I miss the Up/Down buttons).
Meter: Diamond SX-200 for power/SWR and a Dosy PM-1000-TS to check modulation.

I have adjusted the output levels such that the low RF output setting provides me the numbers in the chart below.

Hopefully I'll be able to make contact with a few of you during the upcoming DX Net.

Cheers,
TBA02 / 222 San Francisco
(Not to be confused with the other 222's that visit this forum)

Attachments

• RCI2950_KL203P.JPG
    RCI2950_KL203P.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 58

Hey, 222, whereabouts are you in San Francisco? I'm in the Civic Center area (couple blocks from city hall). There's a chance we've talked before but I can't place your number offhand.

-Bill, Unit 248

Hey Bill/248,

My logs show we talked 2/15, I was running the Grant that day barefoot.

Technically I am in Emeryville, right over the bay bridge by the big "E", but that just doesn't ring quite as well calling CQ. That might be what is throwing you off, and I did finally hit 941 over the hill a day or two later.

I work in the city near 1st St.

Welcome 222 I myself have been doing it for years but just recently got bit by that same bug an Bought a Cobra 2000 . the way the DX has been running got me going again in a major way .

Welcome back to the hobby! I wonder how many other "old timers" have returned due to the good conditions we're enjoying...

And, welcome to the forum. IMHO, this is the best (CB related, at least) forum going. Although I haven't been real active here over the past few years, my recently renewed passion for 11 meters has prompted my return. Fun stuff!

I agree with Doc after being out off it a while " As we get Older " some things slip or memory an this site help me for one get back on track , let alone the new things I have learned .

Hey Bill/248,

My logs show we talked 2/15, I was running the Grant that day barefoot.

Technically I am in Emeryville, right over the bay bridge by the big "E", but that just doesn't ring quite as well calling CQ. That might be what is throwing you off, and I did finally hit 941 over the hill a day or two later.

I work in the city near 1st St.

Oh, I think I remember now. We talked on 38LSB, but it was rough due to all the skip. Glad you got through to Bob 941 too. I'm sometimes on channel 17 in the evenings.

I work in Alameduh. Gotta love the reverse commute.

-Bill, Unit248

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?