• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ground plane question...

southerntrucker

rebel child
Jan 29, 2012
texas, the good ole south
hey guys, im runnin an ole imax 2000. iv got it mounted on a telascopic tv antenna pole and its about 20-25 feet to from the bottom of the antenna to the ground. and i was wondering if it would make any difference what so ever if i added an ground plane kit to it. just curious. thanks guys.

maybe , maybe not . some folks get slightly to much better results adding ground elements and a choke . some get none at all . probably not the answer you wee hoping for ........

It doesn't make much a difference ( if ay at all )
Better would raise it as high as you can ( do be extremely careful of power lines )..

Better yet..(if you are ok with the money )
Get an Interceptor I-10K

Just my 2 cents

Ik. But I'm pretty broke at the moment. And didn't really wanna spend the money and it not do any good.

this can be made for a few bucks to see if it helps .

BELOWANTENNA.jpg

use 12 gauge speaker wire for the ground elements . 108 inches for each . i used PVC from lowes as a stand off at their bottom and the vertical is just a wire taped to the side of 1 inch pvc . i would make my X/standoff smaller . get one 10 ft piece of scheduel 40 pvc pipe and one 4-way and cut the 10 footer into 30 inch pieces . one for each ground element ..... the pic tells the rest .

Kingcobra-- what kinda antenna is that? iv been outta the cb world for several years uptill here a few monnths ago. So I'm not familer with what is out their now. Lol

Booty monster-- so basicly you just made and antenna outta speaker wire and pvc pipe? If so, that's freakin crazy. Lol

what kinda antenna is that? iv been outta the cb world for several years uptill here a few monnths ago. So I'm not familer with what is out their now. Lol

Home of the Interceptor 10* Antenna
Jay Has a Section here on the Forum......... http://www.worldwidedx.com/a1-antennas/

The I10-K is a 5/8 ground plane with a hair pin match, they are built very well to withstand harsh weather conditions.
If you are on a budget the I10-K is on the high end of the list for 5/8 antennas,
Booty`s idea with the wires is cheap and will allow you to experiment with the ground plane idea to see if it helps.

Jeff

unless you live in a area with bad weather and need the physical strength/durability of the i10k , i'll suggest a gainmaster or vector 4000 for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the interceptor . the $60 workman 58 is a great option for folks on a tight budget .

P.T. Barnum said "There is a sucker born every minute."

Like Booty said if you need a very strong antenna for bad weather the I 10K is great ,, but other 5/8 for a fraction of the cost will perform just as well.

Or for that fact build your own. cheaper and will perform well.

Plenty of info on the site and the net is full of them, I think a member BEJO in Indonesia has a thread on one and got it working good. Search function will help for that one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.