• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

groundwave talking?

Bearcat

Oct 25, 2015
What kind of distance do you guys experience with your omni or beam Antennas...what antenna? How high ECT. Thanx n advance

If you're operating much above 3 MHz, there IS no "ground wave", and since true ground wave is vertically polarized, a horizontal antenna won't help much. You probably mean "sky wave", which follows the surface of the earth a bit beyond the visible horizon.

If you're operating much above 3 MHz, there IS no "ground wave", and since true ground wave is vertically polarized, a horizontal antenna won't help much. You probably mean "sky wave", which follows the surface of the earth a bit beyond the visible horizon.

Yes beetle...skywave

Hi there a few factors dictate your performance in this regards. It is as much to do with the RX end as your station.

I tend to call thess line of sight contacts or point to point. As someone mentioned really ground wave is a type of RF prop that only exists at much lower frequencies. It allows your signal to propagate way beyond the horizon.

1) Height above ground level of your antenna.

2) Height above surrounding average terrain i.e. height above absolute sea level of your station set up.

3) RX station antenna and radio and their height above sea level.

4) Your RX noise floor and the RX stations noise floor.

5) Power output

6) Quality of your vertical antenna.

7) Modulation mode, SSB tends to work best for long distances.

Then issues like the quality of your coax, connectors, VSWR all have a small part to play.

Occasionally you will get 100-200 miles with ease with a tropospheric ducting lift. But without any lifts typically I manage the following....

I can speak to someone 30 miles or so away with 0.25 Watts on SSB. They have a great RX though.

At around 400 - 550ft ASL with no lifts I talk 70 miles all round with ease. (favouring some directions) 90 miles with regularity and 130+ miles fairly frequently. 150 miles occasionally. 170miles is possible with non tropo conditions with a person at 1,500ft ASL (even when they are using a Sirio 4000 mag mount lol) And my record line of sight of 240 miles with RX station mobile static at height as well.

Lets use a Imax for point of reference at 30ft at base...line of sight is 20 miles all around me and I'm on the highest point in my town...

Just wanted to know what antenna some of you used and how far locally you have talked..(not dx) just locally

What kind of distance do you guys experience with your omni or beam Antennas...what antenna? How high ECT. Thanx n advance

With Imax I can talk 50 miles local consistenly to a specific station. Most stations local about 30 miles is the range.

When we get the rare local skip conditions it's usually in the 300-500 mile range.

And your normal everyday type skip usually starts at 1,000 miles and moves further out to whatever.

Reactions: Marconi

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.