• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GS35-B Triode Amplifier Update

paws264

Apr 6, 2005
034.gif

I added some more pictures and explanations to the "GS35-B Project" pages.

The RF deck is done and tested at 2200 volts, the plan next is to rebuild the "Test" B+ supply. I am going to add an additional transformer to come up with 4000 volts plus at 1.0 amps ccs.

I am conservatively expecting 2500 watts out.

Right now, it's a single band amplifier but, in the future, if desired I will make it band switchable.

It's not really a big issue, put in a long tank coil and tap it where it's resonant for the different bands. Same way with the input, will use an "L-network" (frequency resonant coil with a variable cap in shunt with the cathode of the tube).

Tried a Pi-network but because of the capacitance to ground on the input of the tube and the capacitance of the coax in the feedline, the "L" works better than the "Pi".

paws264 said:
034.gif

The RF deck is done and tested at 2200 volts, the plan next is to rebuild the "Test" B+ supply. I am going to add an additional transformer to come up with 4000 volts plus at 1.0 amps ccs.

I have been reading a lot about this tube . the tube needs 1.2 amp on the B+ side and can run as high as 6000 b + volts . And to clean your project up a bit you can get some nice metal case from fatboy . chargercharger.com

kc2jgl said:
paws264 said:
034.gif

I have been reading a lot about this tube . the tube needs 1.2 amp on the B+ side and can run as high as 6000 b + volts . And to clean your project up a bit you can get some nice metal case from fatboy . chargercharger.com

William my thoughtful friend, thank you for the heads-up about chargercharger . com however, I am going to be contracting with a local retired machinist-friend of mine to knock-out my chassises for me.

I am glad to know that you and many others have been reading up on the tube, however, while you were reading, I was building so, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Yes, you can potentially apply up to 6000 volts on the plate of this tube and, if you were to bias and drive the tube in such a manner to achieve 1.5 amps of current, then POTENTIALLY, the tube would be achieving 9000 watts input. All very good on paper but, realistically, 4000 volts at 1.0 amps yielding 4000 watts input and approximately 2500 to 3000 watt to the antenna from one tube is a better scenario, wouldn't you agree?

Again William, thanks for the input and if you know anybody with more experience with building with the GS35-B tube, hook me up with him, I have a question or two myself.

73's

paws264 said:
kc2jgl said:
paws264 said:
034.gif

William my thoughtful friend, thank you for the heads-up about chargercharger . com however, I am going to be contracting with a local retired machinist-friend of mine to knock-out my chassises for me.

I am glad to know that you and many others have been reading up on the tube, however, while you were reading, I was building so, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Yes, you can potentially apply up to 6000 volts on the plate of this tube and, if you were to bias and drive the tube in such a manner to achieve 1.5 amps of current, then POTENTIALLY, the tube would be achieving 9000 watts input. All very good on paper but, realistically, 4000 volts at 1.0 amps yielding 4000 watts input and approximately 2500 to 3000 watt to the antenna from one tube is a better scenario, wouldn't you agree?

Again William, thanks for the input and if you know anybody with more experience with building with the GS35-B tube, hook me up with him, I have a question or two myself.

73's

For under $ 100.00 you can get a nice case . This is what i am working on. Eimac 3CX3000A7 Item number: 5820010845 ebay

73's

.[/quote]For under $ 100.00 you can get a nice case . This is what i am working on. Eimac 3CX3000A7 Item number: 5820010845 ebay

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.