• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Guess I have enough turners now?

lonestarbandit

Supporting Member - WDX 429
Dec 30, 2006
Started on collecting spree even though retirement not for 10 years yet. As will be overseas in Philippines acquiring things like this will be harder and far more expensive so starting now.
Now have 3 plus 3 cleaned repaired repaired and a plus 2 and a few others.
Now if I find an expander 500 for cheap....who am I kidding nothings cheap anymore. Anyway here's some of the oldies. Just finished cleaning and rewiring the center plus 3.

Attachments

• 20231028_135305.jpg
    20231028_135305.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26

When the wife yells at you about "Another damn microphone?!" then you have enough. Until then, you're just making sure you have enough spares.

Reactions: walterjn
You might be surprised. The Philippines and Indonesia are both very heavy users of the 11 meter band. In the late afternoon both countries boom in here and I can hear and work lots of stations there easily.
I suspect equipment there is probably as easy to come by as it is here, and likely cheaper, too.......

That's a mighty pretty sight, right there!! That plus 3 is by far, the best sounding communications mic ever built. I have a 3, a 3B and Side Kick, plus a couple of parts mics.

Reactions: lonestarbandit
You might be surprised. The Philippines and Indonesia are both very heavy users of the 11 meter band. In the late afternoon both countries boom in here and I can hear and work lots of stations there easily.
I suspect equipment there is probably as easy to come by as it is here, and likely cheaper, too.......
Given I've been there, Hong Kong and China many times in the past and my wife is a filipina, I'm fairly familiar with the area.
No, I wouldn't be surprised. Yes, equipment is readily available. Yes, people use 11m. With modern equipment. Not used American market gear from 40 years plus ago. That's a niche market. And importing anything like that is a pain and with the corruption in the mail system there, its likely to go missing with no recourse. Thus I'm stockpiling now well ahead of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: walterjn
You are missing the Super Side Kick which I consider their best although I never liked the sound from any Turner.
Yes that was by intent lol. I prefer the compressor sound in the plus 3. But I am watching for a sidekick which is complete-ish but maybe broken and cheap to put this AGC element in. Not exactly sure how I will do it yet but there's that thread here somewhere on the subject.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231028_211416_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231028_211416_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    608.1 KB · Views: 7
Yeah, that's what I don't like about them. I use an Astatic 1104c on a Yaesu 101zdmkIII and have received nothing but good reports.
I have that D104 in the background, great mic but I like the Turner sound better. I know. I'm weird, the Astatic crowd will now come and lynch me lol

No, you have a D104 in the background, not the 1104c, the 1104c is a far better mic.
Read the quote you just quoted brother.
Did I not say it was a D104? I never said it was a 1104c. I can only compare what I own. I've never had one of those 1104cs.

I've re-read it. It still says what it did before but no problem. I'll keep an eye out for an 1104c to try if I run across one.

Screenshot_20231029_115430_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.