• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Guess what? I'm back with another noggin scratcher...

350GA

Oct 14, 2018
Merry belated Christmas to everyone!

I've got yet another radio that has me stumped, this time, I don't believe it going to be so easy...

So, I've got a new Cobra 29 LTD Classic on the bench, just finished my IRF520 conversion and tune on it, which I have done hundreds of before,(no clipped limiter or jacked up audio mods lol).

It's making fantastic peak and average power (9w Bird average/48w PEP), nice and clean on the spectrum analyzer, with the top cover OFF...

But as soon as I put the top cover all the way ON, the power drops to around HALF of what it was doing with it taken off! I have never seen this before, ever.

Any ideas from the braniacs here? Thank you!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Ground screws on the corners of the circuit board loose?

Blown disc caps connected to the solder pads of those ground screws? A typical sign that a radio was connected to the antenna during a nearby lightning strike. Sometimes the only visible damage is a tiny nick in the rim of the disc, usually in the space between the lead wires.

This is a sorry trick we saw with the old President/Uniden HR2510 radios, but not with this one.

Reactions: Odancoiler
Take your DVM, test the Speaker wires, then test one them to the Speaker CASE.

If case to speaker - if it shows ~8 to ~16 ohms, your Speaker is causing you this grief.

Else the Speaker ground is too weak - you need to repair the Microphone and or the Speaker Jacks both EXT and PA - then verify the caps are not shorting your effort to ground.

Think of this as a Talkback mod repair...

Reactions: Odancoiler

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.