• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

h.brew cubical quad,2,3 or 4 element w/pics

I'd love to run that stuff, only if it'd handle some power.

I'm running 200' of cable too, although some of it is gathered in the attic. I could lop off 25-35' maybe, but it wouldn't gain me much and if I'd ever need it I don't want a splice. So I just run it.

what are you running if not lmr400 ?

what are you running if not lmr400 ?

No no, I'd love to run the balanced or parallel (window) line TheDB is talking about. Extremely low loss at 200' and would feed a quad great, plus it's cheaper than coaxial cable. It just doesn't handle much power is all.

Here, play around with this calculator ..... LINK

As a general rule, 1dB is discernible to the human ear, 3dB is starting to make an "on-air" difference, and 6dB is an entire S unit on your radios meter.

So it's not impossible to do longer runs, and in some cases beneficial, but you'll have to step it up on the coax.

My tower sits up on a hill or "bank" that's level with the peak of my roof, so I gained 20-30' of height by placing it there ........ but I had to add almost 3x the coax compared to if I'd have anchored it to the side of the house.

I'd love to run that stuff, only if it'd handle some power.

I'm running 200' of cable too, although some of it is gathered in the attic. I could lop off 25-35' maybe, but it wouldn't gain me much and if I'd ever need it I don't want a splice. So I just run it.

Make the parallel feedline yourself. Plenty of places online give various instructions, and offer calculators for various impedances, including some of the thicker wire diameters that can handle power levels as high and higher than LMR-400, and with less losses to boot.

The DB

Reactions: 1 person
Make the parallel feedline yourself. Plenty of places online give various instructions, and offer calculators for various impedances, including some of the thicker wire diameters that can handle power levels as high and higher than LMR-400, and with less losses to boot.

The DB

That's actually a pretty good idea. I haven't dropped the antenna since I put it up 3 years ago, but I need to take it down sometime this summer for some maintenance anyway.

thanks 359! i wont be loosing much at 160-175ft with lmr400..i just have to make sure i get the copper shielded stuff.belden is nice but high dollar.

well first i made a blue connection block from a old cutting board and didnt like it so i looked around a bit.
came up with a old school "sk tools" screwdriver handle from the 70,s in great cond..i knew there was a reason i kept it since i was 10yrs old,ok i may be a hoarder:love:
the screws in the pic will NOT be used,i will get stainless..
question is; is non magnetic ss as conductive as magnetic ss**Jump_im**

im glad i used the screwdriver handle as the fiberglass rod has a press fit in the hole i drilled and wont move after "glued and screwed" in place.
this is what it will look like when assembled.:D with the flag and all..maybe the flag will throw some WAVES my way.

Attachments

• quad 005.JPG
    quad 005.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 13
  • quad 015.JPG
    quad 015.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 10
better pic of the handle..thanks 359,this is gonna be much much better than the dipole thing i made as it was heavy.

Attachments

• homebrew mics 043.JPG
    homebrew mics 043.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: 1 person
got the driver and reflector strung up and soldered and left them loose till im gonna use them..
then got to to thinking maybe i should get them set perfect and then if they stretch any while sitting a while i can re adjust them.

question; if i get the adjustment a fraction too tight all the spreaders lean in a lil on one side..i seen pic of others do this but from what i read and understand the wire is supposed to be just tight enought to keep them in a straight line when there hangin in mid air..this correct?

there so light i think i will go ahead an do a director and have a 3 element(y)

tv rotor should turn this easy since im cheap and poor:D

any suggestions about vertical versus horizontal..my father says i will hear things like never before on the flat side? i have the omnidirectional but cant talk far to locoals in my state so having a hard time deciding what i really want..vertical or horizontal..what yall think:pop:

Attachments

• finished mics 011.JPG
    finished mics 011.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 13
  • finished mics 013.JPG
    finished mics 013.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 12
  • finished mics 016.JPG
    finished mics 016.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 15
  • finished mics 017.JPG
    finished mics 017.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 13
if i get some pl259,s sometime this week im gonna hook 100ft of rg8 to it and see what it shows on the meter before making any matching system.
when i get the spreaders just a hair to tight it bows the f.glass rod, so i put a slight tention on it to see if it stretches and straightens its self out over a few days.
seems if they bow at all then the distance between them will be as far as 4-8 inches off if both elements were to bow just a little.if it dont stretch i will make the wire looser..this sound corect fellas?

Attachments

• quad 004.JPG
    quad 004.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 13
  • quad 005.JPG
    quad 005.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 11
Go horizontal if you are interested in dx, vertical if you want to talk to the locals.Locally cross polarization results in 3 s points or so of signal loss. Space between the loops is more critical than how tight the wire is. The spacing changes the tuning of the ant ,impedance front to back and gain, if that helps.You will need the matching section of 75 ohm cable on a two element quad ,maybe not if you go 3.

thanks fellas..i have some rg6 75 ohm coax but it has aluminum braid..can this work in a pinch to test it out or do i have to have copper braid?

i just made a 2 meter antenna for my scanner and it works sweet..a lil 20 and 1/2 inch quad element made from 5/32 solid copper..i also used 20ft of beldin 75 ohm alum braid coax and soldered it to the copper element..
well,i ran the braid thru a tiny hole i drilled and filled both sides with solder.
will this work the same on the quad? or is copper braid mandatory? thanks for the help;)
i think im gonna stick with the idea of horizontal and use my astroplane for local and get it up higher than it i now..

UPDATE; hooked up some alum braided rg11 18awg conducter today at the 7ft 8 and 1/2 inch length that was recomended to me.
soldered and entrapped the alum braid after crimping it and seems to be solid,then eyelets on the rg8 150 ft i was given thats pretty old but may be ok..

these results were with the drivin element wire not tightened and adjusted properly..its close but needs another 1/8th inch tention on each spreader bar.
i realized this after i was done testing lol..

keep in mind the antenna was made using channel 40 for my freq on the antenna calculator.

all testing on am with a diawa cn-801 meter and the radio meter.

swr ch 40- 1.2 on meter and dead flat on radio meter.
ch 20- 1.5 on meter,,1.2 on radio meter
ch 1- 1.7 on meter,,2.0 on radio meter

i think i trust my diawa meter most as it reads the watts exactly like rci says my radio has in the manual.

on ch 27.5050 swr is dead flat
on ch 27.7050 swr is 1.2

when i talked thru the antenna on ch 37lsb the swr meter went to 1.2 so i think the swr,s are pretty good..

did i mention the antenna is in diamond shape with the element at the bottom tip"horizontal" and only 3 inches off the ground:D
with the drive element aimed se thru millions of acres of thick trees also.

when i un hooked the 33ft astroplane and hooked up the qaud the only difference i heard was the "quite" i still heard the sb on ch 6 very well even aimed south east and on the ground.
still could here texas and cali desert on 38lsb with aimed se and on the ground????
im gonna asume this is a very good thing:)

got 40 ft of rg11 u from dxengineering.com and got it made up and installed today..7ft 8-1/2 inches long:D
got the 2 x 1/8 aluminum boom mounted up and clamped down,drilled weep holes in all the tubes and got soaked when the water came out in my face from the rain and couple days ago.but they will never freeze and spit open.
drilled set screws in all the spreaders so they cant move even if the adjusting clamps broke.
spread between elements adjusted to exactly 5 ft 4=1/2 inches.
set it up for now at 13ft to the center beam from the ground and 6 ft off the ground to the bottom tip of the feed line..and aimed it out west.
gonna slay me some BIG BASS in the am early and will be testing it when im home tomorrow afternoon..and it can only be better than before so im happy happy happy<More audio>

Attachments

• quad 020.JPG
    quad 020.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 17
  • quad 022.JPG
    quad 022.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 17
  • quad 032.JPG
    quad 032.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 18
  • quad 034.JPG
    quad 034.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 18
  • quad 042.JPG
    quad 042.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 19
  • quad 044.JPG
    quad 044.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.