• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hakko FX-888D Soldering Station

Crawdad

Down in the mud invasive species
Nov 11, 2016
20220125_201945.jpg

After Christmas I ended up with some Crapazon (sorry, I mean Amazon) bucks that I had to decide how to best use. After careful deliberation (gave me a headache) I settled on this one. And I'm very glad I did. I can't rightly call this a review, it wouldn't be fair to compare the Hakko to the cheap irons I had before and I'm not experienced enough, but it's a night and day difference for me.
20220125_202346 (2).jpg
Every component feels and operates like it was well thought out and well made.
Both components take up very little desk/table space.
As advertised the iron heats from room temp to solder-ready in about 15-20 seconds.
Temperature controls are simple to use, reaches new temps quickly.
20220125_202226 (2).jpg
The iron itself is sturdy but light weight, cord is flexible and light. Never pulls you off the work.
The iron holder is solid and well designed, convenient for tip cleaning and tinning. Stays where you put it.

Hakko offers a good range of reasonably priced tip styles/replacements. SMD stuff too. All in all I feel it's a great little unit and worth every bit of just over a C-note. It's helped me to do things I was uncomfortable or even unable to do before. Hopefully this helps anyone out there who struggles a bit with their soldering like I used to and is on the fence.
There are YouTube videos out there that show details of the unit to check to make sure you don't get stuck with a counterfeit full of Chinesium. It also may pay to make certain you're buying one from an authorized US distributor.

73 to all

I have been thinking about a decent solder station myself but I just cannot get over the idea that the new Hakko's look like they were made by Fisher Price. :ROFLMAO:
Looks like you'd inflate the tires on your Playskool car with it. It's not hard to find where you left it.

You won't be disappointed with one if you can get past the colors and fall off the fence.

I have one, but a very basic one. The temp control is very accurate. Great value. Mine is probably 15 years old. Looks awful but works great.
This one also looks awful but works great. 15 years says quite a bit about the quality, eh? Be more than happy if I get that much.

Hello - My first post on the forum.
I got a FX-888D last Dec. to replace my old soldering station that finally quit after 20-some years. I've been looking at the Hakko for a couple of years and now that I have it, I am very pleased.
I agree, the 888 looks unconventional, but once you use it, it's nothing but quality and performance. Great soldering station (y)(y)

This is what a buddy of mine bought a year or two ago and I've got one on the way now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.