• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HAM 4 ROTOR METER LIGHTBULB NEEDED

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I need this lightbulb for the meter in my Ham 4 it just burnt out also the needle does not move on meter to show direction of beam??? Is it the internal commentator on the rotor? or is it the box thats malfunctioning? Anyone ever seen this or have experience with this?

The lightbulb just burned out lastweek the needle never moved in the meter since I got it the beam does turn but the meter doesnt show direction so I use to have to look once and awhile to see whre the hell I was pointed LMAO!! (That gets old real fast!!) Anyways Im guessing if the beam is turning the internal fuse is good. I believe these bulbs are a goofy voltage aswell.

Tony,

I have seen an ad on one of the ham sites advertising the solution to your problem. The ad says" Tired of replacing the bulb in your Ham v rotor" so I do think it is a common problem. Try a search or go to the other sites and have a look.

PR

Check the troubleshooting info on page 11 and 12 of the manual I attached in the previous post. You can run the problem down without much trouble that way. If the meter does not work at all the cal switch could be pushed in or the meter itself is bad. You should have 13 vdc between 3 and 7 on the control unit.

I bet 10 bucks your meter is not moving due to a problem in the meter circuit...... a 12 volt zener diode, capacitor and one more diode make up the DC 12v required to run your meter. You can apply 12 volts to a rear terminal number 3. If your meter starts to work after that..... theres your problem.

As far as a bulb goes......that a 24 volt bulb....(hard to find). Go to auto zone and buy two small 12volt bulbs and wire them in series to use them. The bulb AND meter run off of ONE 24 volt transformer (the small one). The 24 volts is brought down to proper REGULATED meter voltage of exactly 12 DC by the zener diode.

I keep looking at the schematic and cant for the life of me, figure out WHY they used a 24 volt supply...... when everything could have been done with a 13.8 transformer so bulbs could have been easilly found.

Good luck !

I havent opened this thing yet but what style bulb does it run leads out of each end sumular to the Texas Star meter bulbs or is it a standard bottom fed twin lead?

I guess I should add too......If the rotor was taken apart at one time ant the big resistor on the top was not set correctly....it wouldnt show correct either.

Check out Norms rotor repair service. Google it. Hes got alot of good info on your rotor.

The type of bulb in it is a staggered pin twist lock type. I used two 12 volt lamps with the loops of wire comming out of the back of the bulb. Made it pretty easy. But, there are so many different ways to do it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1