• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ham hate mail regarding my Icom 718 (CB) video

Strangely I've seen a huge increase in email in the last couple of months regarding a youtube video I did on the Icom 718 with a CB slant posted over a year ago. These are outside emails have nothing to do with this forum but I thought I'd post my view on this topic as it's an interesting discussion. This isn't meant to start a contentious argument as we've all seen that here before, I thought this was just an interesting topic based on the increase in email I've seen so let's keep it clean folks.

Now as a ham I can understand why many hams may not like the idea of CBer's using ham radios but many of the emails I've been receiving seem pretty nasty and misguided.

The interesting part of CBer's using the Icom 718 to me is that I think in many cases it's actually a positive thing. I like to look at it in the following manner.

1) First of all, your basic new or non-hobby oriented CBer' who owns and runs a Cobra 25 or similar isn't going to drop $400+ on a used Icom 718. The users are most likely going to be more serious operators who are on the hobby side.

2) If hobby operators are buying a $400+ radio they most likely knowledge of radios and understand the CB/ham radio frequency distribution. The operators are unlikely to buy this radio and then start talking on 20 meters without a license, not to mention that even if they did most ham's would immediately realize they weren't a licensed ham. So it's highly unlikely they would use the radio on ham frequencies.

3) Most hobby operators tend to want to talk DX and they fall into two categories - the big radio AM crowd or the SSB crowd. While some in the AM crowd do run high end ham radios many tend to lean towards less expensive radios that can be clipped or modded for extreme modulation. The AM crowd tends to cause more interference with their big power setups, so even though they are unlikely to use a Icom 718, it would almost be better for everyone around if they were running an Icom 718 into their 8 pill instead of a Galaxy 44 that's had the modulation limiter removed. (Along the dirty in/dirty out argument). Obviously if the amplifier has it's own issues the radio isn't going to make a huge difference either way.

So if we can assume the SSB CB crowd are the ones purchasing the Icom 718 we can also assume they are most likely planning to use the radio for LSB on the CB frequencies or LSB/USB on the freeband frequencies. Again - it's probably preferable to most hams that if these operators are going to use a illegal radio with higher power that they use a Icom 718 rather than a Galaxy 95T etc as we would hope it will give them cleaner signals with less splatter.

4) Anyone can own a ham radio (modified for 11 meters or not). The legality only comes into play if the radio is used to transmit. In fact I was given a ham radio as a kid long before I had the license to transmit on it and I spent many hours listening to operators getting excited about the hobby. A serious SSB CB operator who runs a 2950DX or similar export may never realize that even though 11 meter DX is dead that 20 meters is running strong. Again if they own a Icom 718 instead of a 2950DX there is a higher probability that they might want to become licensed or learn more about the ham radio hobby.

5) Many SSB CB operators consider themselves proud to be cber's and don't use Ham frequencies at all and have no interest in doing so. For them the Icom 718 offers a high end radio to use on the CB and freeband frequencies only and again they are highly unlikely to cause any disturbance to any ham operators and the use of this radio over a cheaper export means they are even less likely to cause any interference.

So in the end I think all of the nasty emails I've been receiving from ham operators is misdirected and if they took the time to read this post they might see how the use of these radio might actually reduce interference issues and could result in new licensed operators.

Obviously if the ham community had it their way no one without a license would ever transmit on any "ham" radio. Barring an act of god that just isn't going to happen and I think that we can all agree that if more higher end ham radios were being used on the CB band (albeit illegally) in place of export radios that many of the transmissions would be cleaner.

That serious ssb CB operators cause problems for hams is a pretty weak argument. In the last year I've only heard one operator on 10 and one on 20 who I assume were unlicensed. Operators immediately called them out and they were off the frequency in a matter of seconds. As has been mentioned on the forum many times, I would actually argue that there are more licensed ham trouble makers causing problems on ham bands than unlicensed CBer's. Any problems from unlicensed operators usually occurs on 10 meters and it is most often credited to truckers/businesses/individuals who have 10 meter export radios but are not "hobby" end users and don't understand the band plan. Again we can assume these people would not be buying or using the 718.

In the end, ham radios such as the Icom 718 are out on the market and are widely used by ham and CB operators alike. As we all know the equipment itself isn't really the issue, it's who has their hands on the equipment and how it will be used. The use of these types of radios by cb operators is really a non-issue for most involved and could actually be viewed as a positive step forward over highly modified cb or export radios

Very Good Post..

Nothing Wrong ( well legalities aside..lol ) in usng a ham radio on 11 meters..

If one is Willing to spend more money on a Better radio.
Even if they only desire to use it (at 1st anyways) on 11 meters.
It likely is due to that person being a more hard core hobbiest.
Who simply wants much better gear..

Then while using the better gear on 11 meters.
Will create far less likelihood of interference .

Also may well Open the door of further Curiosity of ham radio.
Often listening at first..then taking the plunge and becoming a ham.

So what the heck is wrong with that ( Nothing is why..lol )

I did the same with not the Icom 718.
However the 706MKIIG
(had 2 other friends of mine do the same)
At first it was Just for SSB CB/Free band.

Problem is many hams get hugely Angry at un-licensed people using ham adios for anything...
Even though often those same complaining ham ops themselves
use the free bands (illegally of course) and of had themselves
started as a cb operator.

These Arguments likely will continue forever.
They are pretty stupid often though.

Just practice reasonable use of your radio.
Enjoy the Hobby..!!

I know a local that runs about 10,000 watts on 11 meters, it is comical, he has more power coming off the back side of his beam than I have coming right out of my antenna jack... lol

Strangely I've seen a huge increase in email in the last couple of months regarding a youtube video I did on the Icom 718 with a CB slant posted over a year ago. These are outside emails have nothing to do with this forum but I thought I'd post my view on this topic as it's an interesting discussion. This isn't meant to start a contentious argument as we've all seen that here before, I thought this was just an interesting topic based on the increase in email I've seen so let's keep it clean folks.

Now as a ham I can understand why many hams may not like the idea of CBer's using ham radios but many of the emails I've been receiving seem pretty nasty and misguided.

The interesting part of CBer's using the Icom 718 to me is that I think in many cases it's actually a positive thing. I like to look at it in the following manner.

1) First of all, your basic new or non-hobby oriented CBer' who owns and runs a Cobra 25 or similar isn't going to drop $400+ on a used Icom 718. The users are most likely going to be more serious operators who are on the hobby side.

2) If hobby operators are buying a $400+ radio they most likely knowledge of radios and understand the CB/ham radio frequency distribution. The operators are unlikely to buy this radio and then start talking on 20 meters without a license, not to mention that even if they did most ham's would immediately realize they weren't a licensed ham. So it's highly unlikely they would use the radio on ham frequencies.

3) Most hobby operators tend to want to talk DX and they fall into two categories - the big radio AM crowd or the SSB crowd. While some in the AM crowd do run high end ham radios many tend to lean towards less expensive radios that can be clipped or modded for extreme modulation. The AM crowd tends to cause more interference with their big power setups, so even though they are unlikely to use a Icom 718, it would almost be better for everyone around if they were running an Icom 718 into their 8 pill instead of a Galaxy 44 that's had the modulation limiter removed. (Along the dirty in/dirty out argument). Obviously if the amplifier has it's own issues the radio isn't going to make a huge difference either way.

So if we can assume the SSB CB crowd are the ones purchasing the Icom 718 we can also assume they are most likely planning to use the radio for LSB on the CB frequencies or LSB/USB on the freeband frequencies. Again - it's probably preferable to most hams that if these operators are going to use a illegal radio with higher power that they use a Icom 718 rather than a Galaxy 95T etc as we would hope it will give them cleaner signals with less splatter.

4) Anyone can own a ham radio (modified for 11 meters or not). The legality only comes into play if the radio is used to transmit. In fact I was given a ham radio as a kid long before I had the license to transmit on it and I spent many hours listening to operators getting excited about the hobby. A serious SSB CB operator who runs a 2950DX or similar export may never realize that even though 11 meter DX is dead that 20 meters is running strong. Again if they own a Icom 718 instead of a 2950DX there is a higher probability that they might want to become licensed or learn more about the ham radio hobby.

5) Many SSB CB operators consider themselves proud to be cber's and don't use Ham frequencies at all and have no interest in doing so. For them the Icom 718 offers a high end radio to use on the CB and freeband frequencies only and again they are highly unlikely to cause any disturbance to any ham operators and the use of this radio over a cheaper export means they are even less likely to cause any interference.

So in the end I think all of the nasty emails I've been receiving from ham operators is misdirected and if they took the time to read this post they might see how the use of these radio might actually reduce interference issues and could result in new licensed operators.

Obviously if the ham community had it their way no one without a license would ever transmit on any "ham" radio. Barring an act of god that just isn't going to happen and I think that we can all agree that if more higher end ham radios were being used on the CB band (albeit illegally) in place of export radios that many of the transmissions would be cleaner.

That serious ssb CB operators cause problems for hams is a pretty weak argument. In the last year I've only heard one operator on 10 and one on 20 who I assume were unlicensed. Operators immediately called them out and they were off the frequency in a matter of seconds. As has been mentioned on the forum many times, I would actually argue that there are more licensed ham trouble makers causing problems on ham bands than unlicensed CBer's. Any problems from unlicensed operators usually occurs on 10 meters and it is most often credited to truckers/businesses/individuals who have 10 meter export radios but are not "hobby" end users and don't understand the band plan. Again we can assume these people would not be buying or using the 718.

In the end, ham radios such as the Icom 718 are out on the market and are widely used by ham and CB operators alike. As we all know the equipment itself isn't really the issue, it's who has their hands on the equipment and how it will be used. The use of these types of radios by cb operators is really a non-issue for most involved and could actually be viewed as a positive step forward over highly modified cb or export radios

Well said.:)

This IC718 with the mods done, it seems to be rather aftersought, amongst Freebanders and Boatowners. In a Boat they uses it for Hf-mail with a SITOR-modem. Give a damn fuck about those lawbreakers at 26-28 Freeband.
The Icom ic-718 is a good rig for its price, and that video is just an honest presentation for what it can be used for, actually lawbreaking! Every modern Hf-rig has extended TX-coverage as an technical option.

Personally I don't care what radio you use or if you are a ham or not a ham.
( a lot of ham radio guys were cber's before they were hammies, although some will deny it )
Actually I get enjoyment from the fact that my radio and my coax and my antenna all came from the trash can and I get to talk just as much and just as far as the guy who spent the bucks.

Personally I don't care what radio you use or if you are a ham or not a ham.
( a lot of ham radio guys were cber's before they were hammies, although some will deny it )
Actually I get enjoyment from the fact that my radio and my coax and my antenna all came from the trash can and I get to talk just as much and just as far as the guy who spent the bucks.

Why you dumpster diving man?

Why you dumpster diving man?

GUILTY
I ride a bicycle about 100 miles a week and I find that you are less noticed ( and I prefer to not be noticed ) when you are dumpster diving when you roll up on a bike versus rolling up in a car/truck.
I have acquired many decent computers this way. (usually all they need is a resinstall of the OS or a hard drive)
The computer I am using at this moment came from the dumper just 3 months ago.
I also find LCD tvs, stereos, etc.
I have over 40 years consumer electronics repair so it suits me well.

GUILTY
I ride a bicycle about 100 miles a week and I find that you are less noticed ( and I prefer to not be noticed ) when you are dumpster diving when you roll up on a bike versus rolling up in a car/truck.
I have acquired many decent computers this way. (usually all they need is a resinstall of the OS or a hard drive)
The computer I am using at this moment came from the dumper just 3 months ago.
I also find LCD tvs, stereos, etc.
I have over 40 years consumer electronics repair so it suits me well.

Right on. As a kid my brother and i found some cool stuff in the dumpsters.

One Oh shit wipes out a thousand Att-a-boys is what they say. Your hard work and efforts are loved by countless radio operators ( there should be a counter somewhere ) Keep up the great work and don't let some snob get you down. The people that send hate mail never key the radio anyway so F-EM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.