• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ham License Questions

thats a pretty broad question. try the ARRL web page and look at the licensing selection@ the top of the page. my "linky" won't work

i would recommend that you also search for a ham club in your area and talk to them;)

Last edited:
DJJ,
I'd advise 'hookedon6's suggestion, that would giv you a fairly broad view of the whole thing.
Very basically, becoming a ham means familiarizing/learning some basic rules and regulations, and taking a test (s), there are several license classes, just depends on what you might be interested in doing. Then you find a testing site, pay a fee (less than $20 for a ten year license), take the test, pass it, and you are a 'ham'.

Basic equipment? Oh boy, that's such a broad question that there's no real answer to it. It really just depends on what you want to do and how much you are willing to spend. It amounts to a radio that will do what you want it to do (anything from Morse code to television) and an antenna of some sort (jillians of them!). From there you can expand things till you wouldn't believe it, which includes building equipment.

Is it worth it? I think so, but some don't. It does require some effort, it isn't a 'give away'. If you're sort of 'electrically' bent, it's fun. It's a hobby that can certainly 'bite' you, in more ways than one, so that's sort of handy to keep in mind too.
Have fun. If it ain't fun, don't do it.
- 'Doc

What does it take to get a License?

That depends on which country you're in. In the U.S., it's just a matter of passing a basic test to get started. They give you all the questions ahead of time, so it's pretty easy to study and pass.

What is some basic equipment?

A radio
A power source (could be car battery or a power supply)
Some coax cable
An Anttenna.

I'd work on the license first. QRZ has online practice exams with real test questions:

http://www.qrz.com/testing.html

The technician test is real easy. Small testing fee when you take the real thing. It's multiple guess, so you have a good shot...

Equipment varies depending on what you want to do. I'd pass on eBay, but you can watch some there to get an idea of what is available and pricing (be it a bit inflated).

VHF/UHF FM is the first logical stop for local communications, especially if you have repeaters in your area. I picked up a decent used dual band hand held (HT) Yaesu for $60. You can even get a new FT-60 or other brand relatively cheap. Icom has a new 2m HT for $100. Mobile rigs are usually a bit more expensive (not too much though), but offer more power. Prices range from around 100 to 600 for HTs and mobiles. Used can be as little as $20. I even picked up a channelized 2m mobile rig for $5 last swap meet. I passed on a used IC706mkIIg for $600, since they go on sale for about $100 more new.

HF is a whole new ball of wax and requires property with enough space for an antenna. A technician can talk on some of 10 meters, and use CW in several other HF bands. Talking on the lower bands requires a General class or above license. So many options here that it's best to describe what sort of experience you would like to have.

I'd personally run a simple wire dipole (actually a fan diploe) from 80 to 10 meters. It cost a few bucks for the wire and feed line (you could use coax). The antenna is around 120 feet long in an inverted V configuration.

You can also run a vertical if you want to get an antenna tuner, but that usually costs more and does not usually work better.

Then you can get into antenna towers with multi-band antennas -- sky's the limit, literally!

The radios can range from around $200 to several thousand. You might find a cheaper rig if you look real hard. I've found this to be sort of a specialized market. Used ham gear of any good quality retains its value fairly well. You usually have to settle for some old equipment or something with issues if you really want to save big. Or you get lucky. Look for estate sales.

You will usually want a 20 amp power supply at least, but it depends on the rig you get.

This is a great book this is what my older kids used and its what my 9 year old daughter is using now.Arrl Ham Radio License Manual : Arrl (Paperback, 2006) - eBay (item 341232092943 end time Oct-03-34 19:38:17 PDT)

The older kids are studying this other book now for their General class aswell. There great books and in my oppinion better than the little Gordon West books and the ARRL books are what the Fondulac Wisconsin Amateur Radio Club uses for there classes. The ARRL General Class License Manual for Radio Operators : Arrl, Ward Silver (Paperback, 2007) - eBay (item 341240500095 end time Oct-10-34 11:16:41 PDT)

Hey DJ..

What type of antenna do you have..
What do you hope to do and or like to do regarding 2 way communcations..

You asked quite a bit..
Help us narrow down what it is you want and or need..

Ham radio is indeed a good hobby but it also can get quite expensive if you are bitten by the bug and are able to buy many radios and other ham gear..

Are you looking to talk on HF frequency's and or VHF and or UHF.
Do you want to talk mostly local and or to talk skip and or throughout the world..

Oh and welcome to the forum

I saw in another thread you have a UHF radio..
But you mentioned wanting a cb type of radio..

So are you interested in ham and or a better CB..

Also in that other thread..
it was said how a better antenna will indeed help and enhance your radio ( quite true)..

Are you considering re programming the UHF radio you have ( so you can use it on 70cm band...but then you will require a UHF antenna) and then getting a 11 meter/cb and or HF radio and mod it for cb/11 meters

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.