• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ham Radio Deluxe Problem

Jaymom

Mar 14, 2011
Ocala, FL.
I can't use it yet since i am still a Tech. but this coming Saturday which is just 3 days from now I hope to be able to try out BPSK31. I have enjoyed copying it for some time now. I have downloaded a number of programs such as MMTTY, Digipan, MultiPSK, etc. From what I can figure out by reading the QSO's of many other hams is that HRD is the most popular although Digipan ranks right up there.
I have been experimenting and find that Digipan works quite nicely (radio connects to computer) but for the life of me I can't get HRD to do the same. I get the following as seen in my attachment. What I am doing wrong I do not know and thought that just maybe someone else has had the same problem one time or another. I can receive using HRD with no problems at all.
Any thoughts?

Harold

Attachments

• HRD.JPG
    HRD.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 350

Do you have a cable connected from the radio to the computer other than audio cables?

HRD offers full control of the radio through the computer, changing bands, frequencies and this error usually means that the cable isn't connected.

Some of the soundcard interfaces use a com port for the PTT, this isn't what HRD is looking for, I think for Icom its called a CI-V cable. If nothing else, don't use HRD and go directly to the DM780 program you will be able to monitor PSK31 but it will just have an error saying not connected to HRD

A couple of quick questions. Is your radio on before HRD is started? HRD needs the radio to be on first. Have you checked all your connection settings? What are you using to connect your computer to the radio?

hey the icom 718 is a nice radio!
the cable u have for it its also for the icom706? where did you get the software? eBay?

Yes my radio is on before I connect to HRD. I am using BUX COMM to connect to the computer. Digipan works perfectly using this setup but i can't get HRD to connect.
I clicked on HELP in HRD and it took me to a web site and I downloaded the latest drivers for it.
I'll try again tomorrow. I really enjoy BPSK31 as well as RTTY and I want to use HRD starting Saturday afternoon. ;)

Thanks for the post everyone,

Have a blessed day,
Harold

If your rig can be computer controlled, HRD will actually turn you rig on for you. Just clicking on the HRD icon to open the program will also turn my rig on. At least that is how it works for me. Another thing to check is the baud rate at which information is transfered between the rig and your computer. They need to match for things to work properly.

Hope this helps!

Wayne C.

Last edited:
From what I have learned thru all my experiments it is the OS of my computer that is causing the problem. I really don't wish to uninstall Vista and put XP back on. I have Digipan working perfectly and i'm just going to use that program. Now im wondering if others use HRD on their Vista machine.

Many thanks for all the suggestions they are well appreciated.

Harold

I use HRD on my Win 7 PC. How many cables to do you have plugged into the 718? Just 2 audio cables? What are your com port settings for digipan, under configure and serial port settings?

I think that you may not fully understand the differences between digipan and HRD.

Digipan doesn't care if a amateur radio is even connected, I've used it to monitor PSK31 through one of the many websdr sites and just setting the soundcard up correctly so digipan gets the audio.

HRD is a different beast with its many features, when you run it it asks to connect to radio, you need a CAT cable or a CI-V cable for Icom for this to work.

Is the Bux Comm advertised as offering rig control through HRD or other programs? If it isn't advertised as such, it probably doesn't.

Good Luck, Harold

From what I have learned thru all my experiments it is the OS of my computer that is causing the problem. I really don't wish to uninstall Vista and put XP back on. I have Digipan working perfectly and i'm just going to use that program. Now im wondering if others use HRD on their Vista machine.

Many thanks for all the suggestions they are well appreciated.

Harold

Yep, using Vista here.

Just tried out Airlink Express and it works as good as Digipan, perfectly. That is to say I can transmit as well as receive. I have one (1) 13 pin plug coming from the back of my IC-718. It goes to my BuxxCom which in turn goes to my computer.
Is the Bux Comm advertised as offering rig control through HRD or other programs? If it isn't advertised as such, it probably doesn't.
Now that I am not sure of. I am using Comm Port 3 for Digipan and Airlink.

Now the difference between Configure and Serial Port settings.....That I am having a problem with. If I try to set them both for the same port it gives me a warning. I don't understand the difference between the two, yes your right. back to the drawing board and thanks for all the help.

Harold

If your rig can be computer controlled, HRD will actually turn you rig on for you. Just clicking on the HRD icon to open the program will also turn my rig on. At least that is how it works for me. Another thing to check is the baud rate at which information is transfered between the rig and your computer. They need to match for things to work properly.

Hope this helps!

Wayne C.

I have never heard of this what rig are you using that would be able to be turned on from Ham Radio Deluxe and what type of interface.

Just tried out Airlink Express and it works as good as Digipan, perfectly. That is to say I can transmit as well as receive. I have one (1) 13 pin plug coming from the back of my IC-718. It goes to my BuxxCom which in turn goes to my computer.
Now that I am not sure of. I am using Comm Port 3 for Digipan and Airlink.

Now the difference between Configure and Serial Port settings.....That I am having a problem with. If I try to set them both for the same port it gives me a warning. I don't understand the difference between the two, yes your right. back to the drawing board and thanks for all the help.

Harold

You will have to do some research on your Bux Comm model to see what it can do. I doubt you will have any luck trying to run digipan and airlink simultaneously using the same com port, the second program won't be able to access it due to the other having it already and you might see an error about com port in use.

I just looked at the manual for the IC718, the 13 pin plug won't give HRD control of the rig and that's why you get the error with HRD, but you should be able to run DM780 and set the PTT to com 3 and RTS/DTR(depends on Bux Comm) to TX.

If you want to be able to control a lot of the IC718's functions using HRD you will have to buy a CI-V cable for it, it's helpful for the menu based mobile rigs but I could live without it on a base model

QWAZYONE....Yep, I think you hit the nail right on the head. I need that CI-V cable. I'll look on the internet for one. Been a busy day for me and I finally made it back home. Left this morning for Gainesville for their hamfest and license exam at 1PM. I can honestly say that I have never seen so much old gear before. They even had AM broadcast radio's that went back to the 1930's. It was my first hamfest and my wife and I had a ball. Saw some rigs that I would have loved to bring back home but living in a mobile home has it's restrictions.
BTW, I passed my General exam. Failed the Extra big time. When I handed it back in I told the girl that the exam could have been in Japaneese and it wouldnt have made any difference. I had the first five Extra exams on QRZ.COM down pat and from those five I recognized no more than 8 or 9 questions. lol

So for the time being I am going to stick with Digipan and look around for a CI-V cable later on.

http://www.dhgate.com/usb-ci-v-cat-...c-718/r-ff8080812d36cf93012d9294b2cf0db2.html

But I'm a happy camper right now and i'm not going to get greedy.

God bless you all on this forum for all the extra work you put into it helping the rest of us.

Harold KK4AVR/AG

Last edited:
Congrats on passing General! The Amateur Extra test is a pain even if you have studied for it, I think the question pool is between 600-700 questions.

Now you can use psk31 if you have an antenna, and a simple dipole works just to get on the air(actually all I use on HF).

Good Luck

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.