• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ham Radio Deluxe with DigitalMaster

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I've been using Ham Radio Deluxe for a long time and downloaded the latest verion a couple of weeks go. Two weeks ago I used Digital Master for the first time with MT63 mode on a local MARS net. This DigitalMaster application is OUTSTANDING!!! The auto-sound card calibration is brilliant (compared to MixW). My only wish is that it had more digital modes! If anyone hasn't looked at this software yet, it's worth checking out.

I _despise_ Windows, have been a full time linux user since about 1995.

HRD is good enough that my shack computer will probably have a windows partition on it....you have no idea what it takes for me to say that ;-).

I also use fldigi a ton in linux and like it a lot too, but the overall integration of the CAT interface, logging and digi modes that HRD/DM780 gives is fantastic.

HRD DM

How are you interfacing to the HF Rig? I am looking at the Rigblaster possibly for a pending FT-897D purchase.

I've been using Ham Radio Deluxe for a long time and downloaded the latest verion a couple of weeks go. Two weeks ago I used Digital Master for the first time with MT63 mode on a local MARS net. This DigitalMaster application is OUTSTANDING!!! The auto-sound card calibration is brilliant (compared to MixW). My only wish is that it had more digital modes! If anyone hasn't looked at this software yet, it's worth checking out.

I've done it several different ways depending on the combination of computer & rig. On my 746Pro at home that I use most often with digital modes, I just made a simple interface myself by taking a long 1/8 mono audio cable and cutting it half. I soldered the ends to the Din connector on the back of the rig (one for TX, one for RX) with a 1:1 isolation transformer inline of each cable to eliminate any ground loops. I also wrapped it around some ferrite for good measure. The total cost of the interface was about $15. I just control the rig using a cheap USB CI-V cable from ebay.

On other rigs, I have used the MixW RigExpert interface. This is a very good unit, but it is overkill in a lot of situations. I had a specific need for something like this, so it fit the bill. You can purchase premade cables for different rigs or even make your own if you need to.

Don't forget about the Rascal by Buxcomm. They are a fairly inexpensive alternative to making your own and they work well.

Interfacing FT-897

Thanks for that reply Mole. I am not especially handy beyond soldering connectors and I gather being able to both isolate the rig and control audio levels are key. I was looking at the RigBlaster units...man they're expensive, but the Pro version seems to have all the features I'd want- it integrates the CAT rig control it seems and offers audio recording with my soundcard. As an avid military and aviation listener on HF, as we all as for contesting in the ham bands, that seems very attractive. The good or bad news, depending on how I look at it, is that West Mountain Radio is about 10 miles from me here in CT....there goes $300 more :blink:

Don't forget the TigerTronics SingnaLink. It is fairly cheap and has it's own soundcard. I have a USB to DIN plug interface that I use with my IC-7000 and a CAT cable, I run the sound through my computer for listening on SSB and through my BOSE headphones for FM. I also use the headphones for transmitting and shut off the computer speakers because of feedback. I had the AB5N mod done to my microphone and it comes across my speakers if not off.

I have also used the West Mountain Plug and Play USB and the RigBlaster but, found they were to much and switched to the TigerTronics for less than half the cost and feel it is a much better unit for digital and much easier to use than the RigBlaster.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.