• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ham Radio saved me $100 tonight

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Friends, family,and random people always ask me, "Why?" when I tell them about my interest in ham radio. For some, the whole concept of ham radio just doesn't make sense in the cell phone and internet age. Tonight, I was able to demonstrate to my family how some simple ham radio skills can be put to practical use and also save you money at the same time.

This is a simple problem; the solution would not be complicated for the vast majority of radio operators. My Motorola Bluetooth ear piece stopped charging two days ago after working reliably for almost a year. My first assumption was that the internal battery had reached its end of life. Before I tossed in in the trash, I decided to take it apart to see if I could spot anything obvious.

My first test was the earpiece charging dock using my DMM on the DC power setting. I found that it was delivering about 5 volts, just as it should (standard USB power). Then I looked at the inside of the earpiece and saw that two power wires connected from the charging terminals to the main board, and then from the main board to the battery. A careful inspection of these tiny wires showed that the negative wire had broken from the main board terminal. A quick soldering job solved that problem, after which a simple test showed that the earpiece was now charging again.

This was the simplest of problems to solve, but I doubt I would have had the skills to think through this issue and solve it if it wasn't for the basic electronics and electrical skills I've learned from the ham radio hobby. I am in no way an electronics expert but I've learned how to deal with these basic problems.

The average consumer would have tossed this earpiece in the trash and bought a new one. Tonight I fixed mine and saved myself $100 (y) Even my kids thought that was cool. :cool:

Thumbs up on the simple repair..

I bet though..
All those so used to the computer and cell phone..
if some major storm or other bad event left PC and cell phones dead
I think you would also Know how to get at least basic communications up and going and not miss out on any important must know news events..

Many perceive ham radio usage as simply nerdy or useless..
Wait until those people can no longer do things in a status quo way..

What will they do then ...?

Hay Mole;
When someone asked me the same question, here is my reply.
When all else fails, Ham radio works... When there is a disaster, all forms of communication fails.
Cell phones, landlines, even computers. Look at 911. When that happened there. All of the phones were down or jammed. The fire and rescue ant the police could not communicate properly. It was the hams who stepped up to the plate and got things going again in the the for of ham radio. There so many examples of what happens during a disaster. Katrina, Oregon floods just to name a few. Look up Walter Cronkite on you-tube and see his video he made about ham radio.
This has opened some eyes to just what we are about.
Bob. KE7KPB

Mole, are you trying to tell us that if you had taken up basket weaving instead, you'd have just tossed that BT in the trash?

Just think of all the money you're loosing by not having those advanced basket weaving skilz...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.