1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Ham Radio Testing - How will it be handled?

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by Big Kahuna, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

A friend who was studying for his test brought up an interesting question.

How will ham radio testing continue in areas that are completely shut down? Will they postpone all testing until this passes or will they try to figure out a way to do it online?

Seems like the perfect time for people to study and take a test but no option to do it from home.

I know I've done insurance testing and some other type classes online. Seems like they could do ham radio lessons and testing online.

Will be interesting to see if anything comes out of it. I know it's hard for many people to get their license if there aren't any tests nearby or they only happen infrequently. Maybe we could bring more young people to the hobby if they could study and do it online. I know my insurance courses kept track of the number of hours and you had to complete info at the end of each section. The tests were also timed so you probably could try to cheat but it would be hard. Regardless, you ended up learning the stuff just because you had to spend so many hours reading through it.

Might be a good option, at least for entry level.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.

2. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

Thats up to each individual VEC (there are 13 of them).
    I know (for a fact) that LAUREL VEC will NOT do remote testing, other VECs are kinda debating it, but I don't think it is going to happen except for the ALASKAN VEC that was doing it on a very limited basis.

The problem is that each VE has to actually observe the test process to ensure there was no "cheating".and 3 VEs' are required by LAW for each test session.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?posts/5409549/ read post #4 closely. then the entire thread, in typical QRZ fashion, slides down the toilet.

undertaker and Handy Andy like this.
  3. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Classes and testing have been suspended indefinitely up here in my area at least.

4. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

All testing in this area has been canceled until further notice.

Jeff

5. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

Suspended here as well

6. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

Hmmm....I tried Zoom media the other day, the three VE's could be on at the same time as an applicant and they could do the test orally. Just an idea. Would be pretty hard to cheat that way. :)

I see this thing going on for some time. We may get back to work but the social distancing rules may maintain for a long time. I also feel like if someone wants to take the time to do the tech test and do 60 hours of online courses and tests at the end of each chapter or something like that they should just give them the license. At least at the entry level.

I'm of the mindset that someone who is willing to pay $ for an online course and spend 60 hours online is dedicated enough to get a tech license. Maybe for the upgrades they'd need video testing.

Hoping this thing ends soon but if not they need to be thinking about solutions.

7. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

I probably should read all the posts.

I read something about some place was offering tests online. Sure would be a good opportunity to study at home and bust out all three exams.