• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HAM Radio

accoolman

Jan 17, 2014
I need a little help. I found an ft950 Yaesu for 1150.$$ supposed to have twenty hours on it. And I am also looking at a new dx1200 Yaesu for 1500.$$ I really need help deciding between the two. Is anyone familiar with either radio and could you please let me know what you think about them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not having any experience with either of those radios, I can still tell you this with confidence. You are the one who will have to stare at that thing, so pick the one that you think you can 'live' with the easiest. Compare statistics/specs, decide which YOU think would be 'best' for you. Only going by price alone, I know which I'd pick (but then I don't like either one of them). And then you get to contend with the 'seller' of them...
- 'Doc

The FT-950 is a great radio, owned mine for 5 years no issues...Good RX better with the MTU preselector...
BUT $1150 MO overpriced...I only paid $1212.00 new...make sure it is a HIGH SS# 43xxxx or above...
I like the looks of the 1200 but the band scope does not work in real time without the $180+ adaptor...That's why I went with the FTdx3000 in September
RX is excellent...LOVE IT!:D
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: 1 person
is this the same radio (with only 20 hours on it) that is for sale on QTH.COM for $950? listings # 1122793 & 1122483:pop:

At $1,150 for a radio no longer made because of the close pricing Ide add the extra $$$ spend the $1,500 and get the newer radio ;)

radio

I have both the FT-950 and the FTDX-1200. I like the display and menu system on the 1200. The band scope is nice but not a deal breaker. The 1200 will have updates for several years but the 950 will not. Overall I much prefer my 1200.

I owned the FT-950 and it's a really nice radio that I would definitely recommend. You shouldn't be paying a new price for it though. $850-$950 for a a rig in excellent condition is more like it. I think it may be the best bang for your hf buck and it shares the same receiver section as their top end rigs. All the most commonly used functions have their own front panel controls, easy to use menus and once again great receiver. I also got a lot of compliments on my audio during a the MI QSO party using a Heil Proset-6 headset. AND I actually won the single op award for my county in the QSO party. And I normally hate contests but the FT-950 was so much fun on 40 meters I stayed on the whole duration of the contest working 32 states and all but 3 MI counties...band conditions were kick butt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.