• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hamfest find!

RatsoW8

Supporting Member, W9WDX ARC Member - WD8T
Nov 3, 2009
West Central Michigan
I finally found the sweet TS-140S I've been looking for at a hamfest last weekend. Got it and an MC-60 mic for a very fair price. This was the first rig I bought new in 1988 and relized I made a big mistake when I sold it 10 years later. This one is in excellent shape and souds great with a D-104 and W2ENY mic element. :D

I think the TS-140S has one of the best receivers Knwd ever made and I hate to say it but it's on par with my FT-450. The rx audio is also more pleasant to listen to and it's not neutered like the 450 is for SW listening.

TS-40S.jpg

hey ratso,

what do you mean by "neutered" when you refer to the TS-450?

im thinking of buying one and SW listening is something i plan to use it for often.
LC

Very nice find !! Every 140 Kenwood I have ever heard had a good rich full sound,always have liked those little radios !!

Hope to hear you on the air with it soon !! (y)

hey ratso,

what do you mean by "neutered" when you refer to the TS-450?

im thinking of buying one and SW listening is something i plan to use it for often.
LC

The 20db attenuator is automatically switched on when the radio tunes below 1.7Mhz. You can't shut it off. They did that because apparently the 450 suffers from front end overload in the BCB. There is a mod out there to remove the attenuation that involves removing some parts. I 'm pretty sure doing the mod disables the attenuator completely.

RatSoW8 I complettely enjoyed reading your post. :) It reminds me of the day I sold my Drake TR4 back in the late 1960's. I missed it before the day was over. I never got the chance to get my hands on another one but have never stopped looking for one that was in fair condition. And your comment about how the Kenwood TS-14S sounds so nice is right on the money. It sure does. I have a 35 year old (plus) Yaesu FT-101B and a 5 year old ICOM IC-718. The IC-718 is a very nice little unit but doesnt even come close to the FT-101B as far as quality of incoming signal is concerned. The FT is so crisp and clear. It will be in my posession until the day I can no longer turn it on. I'm not saying this is true with everyone else's but it sure is with mine.

Yep, know where your coming from. Enjoy your TS-14S. Don't let it out of your sight.

Harold

Hi Jaymom
...I never had the privilege of using the TR4, but I did have the opportunity to use a TR7 and L7 amp while I was in the Navy in the late 80's. We resuscitated NN0NHA/WA4ZUA and I was a regular running phone patches and generally just hanging out at the station located at CINCLANTFLT. After using the aforementioned station with a LPD at 40 ft I would go back to my TS-140S and sloppy dipole array...lol. I had full size dipoles and inverted vees at a minimum of 50'. The loblolly pines in the Norfolk area were sweet to say the least..

Thanks for your comments and I plan to keep this TS-140S. BTW...I looked for a TR7 and L7 amp for quite a while. Nothing affordable to for me unfortunaltly.

73'

Ron...WD8T

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.