• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hams and Scanners

Need2Know

KK4GMU - Ocala, FL
Jan 26, 2012
Ocala, FL
www.muccings.blogspot.com
Sounds like breakfast, but this is a legit question.

I'd like to hear from hams who also have a scanner (I'm interested in the Uniden Home Patrol) and how they use their scanners in conjunction with their ham rigs.

I understand our HF/VHF/UHF ham transceivers are not the best equipment for listening in on public safety broadcasts since many PS communications systems are trunked and digital and not receivable by ham radios.

I would imagine that dedicated scanners are used by hams who are involved with emergency response teams (ARES and Skywarn, etc.) but I would like to learn more about their interrelated usage.

just a side question,...... are you actually in the Villages or just near by?

I'm askin because I don't think "they" like outside antennas and I have considered buying in the area.

Inside The Villages. Most use either attic antennae, flagpole antennae, or soffet antennae.

There is a large ham club with their own 70cm repeater.

Here is their web site...
K4VRC Home

Take a look at the Technology tab for info about the various antennae used in The Villages.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.