• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hand Held CB's

Yup that little GE radio is neet it has one of the best recievers I have ever heard and even the silly little mic works good it looks like a plastic Brick but it works good. :LOL:

I've had a 6 channel crystal control for about 20 years now , (excellent condition) still have the box and leather cover and paper work that came with it . Vintage 1972 . Crystals cover 17-14-12-11-2 . This thing has a 4 ft center loaded antenna ! as far as I know at the time ,I talked 8 miles to friends base station many years ago. I suppose for it's time ,it was a good one. Nowadays I think a small gmrs will do the trick.
im001950er9.jpg
im001952mg3.jpg

Love it!

Love thost RS HT Rigs with the ~6' telescoping Antenna. I have a pair of more modern PLL RS HTs (TRC-213?) and turned the Mod Pot up a bit. They sound awesome and have lasted forever. I bought mine sometime in the mid-80's IIRC. I have an older Midland 23 ch crystal synthesized HT up in the attic somewhere. It doesn't sound near as good as the cheap RS units.

With the antenna fully extended (and I'm not standing in a hole), I used to talk from Bedford County, VA to Floyd County, VA. Of course this was at night and there were no truckers running a gigawatt (& no mod limiter) within 20 miles of me.

Also, I have (arguably) one of the few sites that actually lists peak and tweak info for many HT rigs, even the old crystal synthesized ones... http://www.smlec.com/cb

Man, I LOVE handheld radios...

I have a Cobra HH 38 WX ST 4 watt Handheld. I thought it was crap till I took off that rubber duckie antenna and got an adaptor at Radio Shack. Hooked it up to my base antenna and was talking 25 or so miles with it. My meter shows 4 watts swinging to 9 watts. They make a better antenna that I would like to try. They also make a mag mount for the car. Recieve is very good also.

Im going to try and make an antenna for this cobra radio in above post. Is the ground internal for the antenna in a handheld or what. I know of a mobile antenna that is very lite and was thinking of putting a bnc conector on it and try that. I can get one more adaptor and attempt to check the swrs going through my meter. What do you antenna gurus think?

I have a handheld that I use an adapter to hook up a PL-259 from a mag mount antenna. I stick the antenna up on the gutter when I'm on the patio, and generally just listen to all the jawjacking. Using the antenna like this is probably not the best way to do things, but it's not serious, and just for fun. Glass of beer, CB humming, outside on a nice sunny day,...it don't get no better than that. :)

I have a cherokee ah-27f....can be modded for 200 channels.. I bought it new and used it 4 times..maybe. Great little radio. Even scans. Has high and lo setting. I lived about two miles from the interstate and could talk to the drivers just fine with the stock Ant..with a external worked alot better. But anyhow im looking to sell it..Anyone know a good fair asking price?

I have heard Maxon makes a nice antenna for handhelds. Bills two way sells them. Im going to order 2 before he shuts down.

Mr Clean said:
I have heard Maxon makes a nice antenna for handhelds. Bills two way sells them. Im going to order 2 before he shuts down.

I thought he shut down a long time ago?

I recently bought one of the telescopic Maxon antenna's from Bill's. Just send him an e-mail, he will reply.

Paid with paypal and recieved it in about 4 days.

It makes a HUGE difference on my Cherokee AH-100. I also have the short and long flexible antenna's and the telescopic is the better of the 3.

i had a couple of radio shack ones that worked good.
oringally they had the rubber duck antenna.but i put
on a telescoptic antenna worked decent....outside in a vehicle
range was very limited to about a mile.but i wanted it for outdoors to get back to my base while on trails worked great for that got about 3 miles with telescoptic antenna and
fresh recharge batteries.in a mobile youd need a external
antenna of some kind

I agree, mine does not work well inside a vehicle with any of the 3 different antennas, unless you get them up and out of the vehicle.

I can stick the antenna up through the sunroof and hear all kind of chatter, but pull it back down inside and onle the very closest units are heard.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.